Imagine a world where every librarian added one more reference to Wikipedia.
1Lib1Ref stands for one librarian, one reference. It's a campaign by librarians around the world (and anyone who has a passion for free knowledge) to add a missing references to articles on Wikipedia.
In 2022, Australia and Aotearoa New Zealand are joining forces to offer librarians across our region online support to add their reference.
Wikipedia is one of the first stops for readers and researchers. It’s an especially important resource now, during COVID-19, when people are increasingly turning to the platform for trustworthy, unbiased, and up-to-date information. Join us to help improve the quality of content on Wikimedia platforms.
Normally run twice per year, this year Australia and Aotearoa New Zealand are encouraging librarians to participate from Sunday 15 May to Sunday 5 June 2022.
Note that 1Lib1Ref is also running from January 15 to February 5 this year, but we are not hosting drop-in sessions for these days. You are of course still free to participate! See the global 1Lib1Ref page for more details.
How to participate
Wikimedia Australia and Wikimedia Aotearoa New Zealand are a series of free hosting drop in sessions. Everyone welcome!
Click on the link to join the Zoom call:
- [Zoom link:
Project page: https://wikimedia.org.au/wiki/1Lib1Ref_2022
Monday 16 May, 10am - 12noon AEST / 12noon - 2pm NZST]
- Wednesday 18 May, 12noon - 2pm AEST / 2pm - 4pm NZST
- Monday 23 May, 10am - 12noon AEST / 12noon - 2pm NZST
- Wednesday 25 May, 12noon - 2pm AEST / 2pm - 4pm NZST
- Monday 30 May, 10am - 12noon AEST / 12noon - 2pm NZST
- Wednesday 1 June, 12noon - 2pm AEST / 2pm - 4pm NZST
You don't need to attend the whole time! Just drop in to learn how to add your reference (and get sent a free laptop sticker too!)
If you are a library that would like to offer a bigger program or other kind of event, please get in touch!
What pages should I work on?
Anything you like! We will prepare some suggestions here soon!
How to add a reference to Wikipedia
Your goal is to add at least one reference to Wikipedia (or Wikidata if that's more your thing)! Any citation to a reliable source is a benefit to Wikipedia readers worldwide.
If you don't already have one, sign up for a Wikipedia account. We don't recommend you use your real name or the name of your employee/organisation. We also recommend adding an email address so that you can reset your account if you forget your password!
Find a page that needs a citation. We also have some suggestions here.
- Go to the Wikipedia page you plan to add your reference to. There are some suggestions here.
- Find and select the Edit Tab. Make sure you are using the Visual Editor (i.e. if there is a lot of code in the window which looks a big scary, find the button with a pen icon (normally in the top right hand corner of the edit box next to the Publish changes button and the editor should switch to allow you to edit the page as it looks on Wikipedia.)
- Place your curser at the end of the sentence where you want to add your reference.
- Click the Cite button.
- Copy and paste the link to your reference (if its a website) or the DOI, ISBN, PMC/PMID, QID, or title (if its a book) and select Generate, then Insert. You should see your citation appear. If it doesn't you will need to add your citation manually, so select the Manual tab in the Cite window.
- Now select the blue Publish changes and add a brief comment such as 'add ref' in the edit summary box. Then select the blue Publish changes button. Your citation should now have automatically appeared in the Reference section at the bottom of the page!
Struggling? Join on of our drop in sessions above! Otherwise congratulations and thank you for participating!
Get in touch
Contact Wikimedia Australia at: