2009 chapters meeting
On April 3-5 2009 there will be a meeting of all the Wikimedia chapters in Berlin. Information about the meeting is available at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Chapters_meeting_2009 .
Thanks to the generosity of some of the other Wikimedia chapters, both Brianna Laugher and Liam Wyatt will be attending and participating for Wikimedia Australia. As it is a big investment of our time and others' money we are keen to give and get the most from the meeting possible.
Our introduction/preparation notes for the other chapters is here - http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Chapters_meeting_2009/Preparation/Wikimedia_Australia .
--Brianna (pfctdayelise) 02:13, 27 March 2009 (UTC)
State of the chapters
Attended w/Liam; see supplied notes at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Chapters_meeting_2009/Preparation
- WMBR - not incorporated, don't want to manage financials - see http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Brasil/Chapter_Report_2008 for more explanation of what they're doing
- WMDE - 450 members, office, ~10 staff (not all FT)
- 2009 budget 940k EUR (projected)
- Offer scholarships for student to access scientific literature
- "Wikipedia machte Schule" - WP goes to school
- WMCH - hold AGMs in different cities. Headache: different languages (4 official langs, currently their ctte has no single common language!)
- WMFR -140 members. release 5-10 press releases a year.
- Received 50k EUR from the 2008 WMF fundraising agreement - revenue is 93% donations (rest is membership)
- '2009 the year of the image'
- 4 streams - ** v good
- Planning: increase to 250 members, 1st hire
- WMID - 25 members (since Mar 2009) - http://wikimedia.or.id/
- good r'ship w/govt - given space for metings
- appointed as affiliate institution for CC
- got a famous actor as "goodwill ambassador" - helped w/press conf
- WMIL - participating w/Israeli OLPC - preloaded static he.wp (90k articles)
- WMIT - budget ~30k EUR (provisional) - mainly royalties from it.wp DVD
- WMNYC - no membership? planning - classes in libraries - north American conf
- WMPL - v active - v pretty slides! organising 'Free education conference in Polish parliament
- WMRU - 12 members - preparing a 3rd annual conf?!
Relationships between chapters
Communication & marketing
Trademark policy & chapter agreements
Development of chapters and relationships with WMF