2019 Wikimedia Australia Community Conference
Saturday 15 June 2019
What was the Community Conference?
The inaugural Community Conference was organised by Wikimedia Australia and successfully held on Saturday 15 June 2019.
The goals of the community conference were:
- to showcase some of the exciting work that has been happening across Australia
- to give our community the opportunity to contribute to the next stage of planning Wikimedia Australia's future directions
- to discuss our priorities for future collaborations
- to discuss how we can better engage with each other, our region: ESEAP (the East, Southeast Asia, and Pacific), and the wider Wikimedia movement
Community members were encouraged to suggest areas of interest and volunteer to present. Five lightning talks were presented, and three workshops.
The full programme with linked presentations is available at Community Conference Schedule
The Conference was live streamed and can be viewed on the Wikimedia Australia channel.
The Conference used the Twitter hashtag #WoW2019
Our special guest speaker, Ingrid Cumming, is a Nyungar yorga who was part of the research team that developed Noongarpedia including the nys.wikipedia. Ingrid is now the Indigenous project co-ordinator for the City of Canning, Western Australia. From her experience in working with Wikimedia Australia she invited WMAU to collaborate with the City of Canning on a digital heritage project. She will share her insights on these projects and how to engage and share in a respectful way with Indigenous knowledge.
Wikimedia Australia acknowledges the generous support of the City of Canning for Ingrid's attendance at the Community Conference.
The University of Sydney, Old Teachers College building (opposite the 1993 Education Building), Room 329.
The University of Sydney kindly provided us with a space, and the necessary facilities to host the event.
There were 24 registrations for the conference received via Eventbrite registration.
- Home Wikimedia: Wikipedia (14); Wikidata (3); Commons (2); Wikisource (1); No account (1)
- Age: 21-30 (2); 31-40 (11); 41-50 (2); 51-60 (3); 61-70 (4); 71- (2)
- Gender: Female (10); Male (14)
- State: ACT (1); NSW (9); NT (1); QLD (2); VIC (4); WA (5); International (2)
- Background: GLAM (6); Education (3); Other (15)
At registration nine attendees expressed interest in presenting a lightning talk at the conference.
For further information on this or future community conferences contact us at contactwikimedia.org.au