|(52 intermediate revisions by 3 users not shown)|
[[File: WTW Nov 2013 Waroona Tourist Centre.jpg |thumb|Participants in the Wikipedia Take Waroona, photo scavenger hunt]]
'''''Wikimedia Australia , Inc. ®''' is an independent not-for-profit organisation and registered charity.
Wikimedia Australia . an independentnot-for-profit organisation and registered charity.
The mission of Wikimedia Australia is to support the Mission of the Wikimedia Foundation in Australia in accordance with the principle of subsidiarity.
mission of Wikimedia to the of the Wikimedia Foundation in the .
We undertake outreach activities, develop resources and build systems that empower and engage people to collect, develop, share and promote Free Cultural Works . In recognition of Australia's role in the Asia-Pacific region, we will assist in building the capacity of the Wikimedia and Free Culture movements internationally.
and that promote Free Cultural Works in
, in the the Wikimedia and
Wikimedia Australia accepts donations via PayPal, direct bank deposit, internet banking transfer, cheque or money order. To donate, please <big>[[Donate|click here]]</big>.
Donations to Wikimedia Australia, while greatly appreciated, are currently are not tax deductible.
activities, and and people to , , and . In of Australia's in the -, in building the of the Wikimedia and Culture .
==Overview of activities ==
[[File:StateLibQld 1 100280.jpg|thumb|Boer War soldier from Queensland, image from the State Library of Queensland Collection]]
[[File:GLAM friday gnangarra 06.JPG|thumb|GLAM_WIKI panel]]
Wikimedia Australia formed in 2008, and was incorporated on 6 August 2008 [https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_chapters/Reports/Wikimedia_Australia/2008-10]. Our first event [[GLAM-WIKI]] which was supported by Australian War Memorial, Wikimedia Foundation, CustomWare and ARC Centre of Excellence for Creative Industries and Innovation occurred in August 2009. This event brought together people from more then 50 Galleries, Libraries Archives and Museums from across Australia and New Zealand to share ideas on the free exchange of knowledge.
Our next major project was in conjunction with the State Library of Queensland with the uploading of approximately 23, 000 images[https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Images_from_the_State_Library_of_Queensland] from their collection, combined with this there has been a number of editing workshops in libraries across Queeensland. This was then followed with a similar program with the State Library of New South Wales who in 2013 hosted Australia first Wikimedian in residence.
Wikimedia Australia and Australian Paralympic Committee (APC) have been working together on a number of projects to improve the available information on paralympic sports. After proving themselves knowledgeable the APC arranged media accreditation for Wikimedians to cover the 2012 Paralympics in London. This was followed up with a project to gain accreditation for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Socchi, Wikimedians are also working on documenting many other sports as well including wheel chair basketball and wheel chair rugby.
[[File:Freopedia Customs House plaque.jpg|thumb|Freopedia QR code]]
2012 Wikimedia Australia combined with [[w:Fremantle Society|The Fremantle Society]] to take Wikipedia from computer screens out into the streets with Australia's first WikiTown in Fremantle, known as [[w:WP:Freo|Freopedia]]. This project is placing QR codes on buildings, monuments and other places linked with Fremantle history. With links to Australian Prime Minister John Curtin, US President Hubert Hoover and bushranger Moondyne Joe to Western Australia's oldest building Freopedia QR codes provide access to Wikipedia articles about the history of Fremantle and Western Australia.
In 2014 a second WikiTown was establish in Toodyay Western Australia, the Shire of Toodyay is taking the lead on this project with Wikimedia Australia and Western Australian editors providing the support and backup they need to be successful. In 2015 Wikimedia Australia joined with Indigenous studies faculties at University of Western Australia and Curtin University to support the first Indigenous community lead project writing Wikipedia in an Indigenous language. Noongarpedia has also resulted in the start of a Noongar Wikitionary both the [https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/nys nys.wikipedia] and the [https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wt/nys nys.wikitionary] are currently in the incubator stage
Wikimedia Australia also has a number of programs to specifically support volunteers in their ability to create free content.
These programs include;
* Travel assistance: report by JJ Harrison of his [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:JJ_Harrison/Cairns_report photographic trip to Cairns]
* Training: report by Juttavd on attending the first [http://www.wikimedia.org.au/wiki/User:Juttavd/AdaCamp_report Adacamp],The [http://adainitiative.org/ Ada Initiative] is an international organisation that supports women involvement in open technology and culture
* Equipment assistance: report by User:99of9 about his [http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:99of9/SmallGrant camera assistant grant]
* Community engagement: information on [[w:Wikipedia_Takes_Toodyay_Show|Wikipedia takes Toodyay show]], where editors spent the day promoting engagement with the local community, this was followed up with a workshop on editing Wikipedia.
* Wikimedian in Residences: the monthly GLAM reports include projects related to Wikimedians in Residences in the [https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM/Newsletter/August_2013/Contents/Australia_and_New_Zealand_report August 2013 issue] the SLNSW reported on their Wikimedian in residence experience with User:Whiteghost.ink
;[https://wikimedia.org.au/wiki/Past_events List of all past activities]
==Media coverage of Wiki activities, editors and community members in Australia==
* 24 February 2019 [https://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/news/2019/02/24/womens-art-register-edit-a-thon Women's Art Register Art+Feminism Wikipedia Edit-a-thon]
* 22 March 2019 [https://queenslandmemory.cmail19.com/t/ViewEmail/r/0D6D02B4CC9B16A42540EF23F30FEDED/6B4A9AE4A7E89E1C6D5E5F9A8728A5A6 March 2019 Queensland Memory newsletter] features QWiki
* 1 May 2019 [https://sydney.edu.au/news-opinion/news/2019/05/01/is-wikipedia-stealing-the-news-.html Is Wikipedia stealing the news]
* 19 May 2019 [https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/futuretense/robots-in-the-classroom-and-news-on-wikipedia/11106720 Robots in the classroom and news on Wikipedia] ABC Radio National Future Tense interview with Bunty Avieson starts at 21.40 mark
* 10 July 2019 [https://www.yprl.vic.gov.au/blogs/post/wikipedia-and-yprl-together Wikipedia and YPRL together] Post by Liz Pidgeon on the #1Lib1Ref project with Yarra Plenty Regional Library
* 25 July 2019 [https://www.sbs.com.au/news/most-wikipedia-profiles-are-about-men-these-women-in-australia-are-hoping-to-change-that Most Wikipedia profiles are about men - these women in Australia are hoping to change that] SBS News video article by Cassandra Bain about the Franklin Women Edit-a-thon at the University of Sydney
* 25 July 2019 [https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/gender/boosting- visibility-of-women-in-stem-one-wiki-entry-at-a-time-20190725-p52avi.html Boosting visibility of women in STEMM, one Wiki entry at a time] ''Sydney Morning Herald'' article by Wendy Tuohy
* 25 July 2019 [https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/drive/combatting-gender-bias-on-wikipedia/11346642 Combatting gender bias on Wikipedia] ABC Radio RN Drive presented by Patricia Karvelas with Guest: Dr Sarah Frost
* 26 July 2019 [https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2019-07-26/women-in-stem-wikipedia-dharmica-mistry/11348876 Australian researchers join global movement to improve visibility of women in STEM] ABC feature article by Brooke Wylie and Olivia Willis on the Franklin Women's Edit-a-thon at the University of Sydney
* 24 August 2019 [https://10daily.com.au/views/a190821qtien/wikipedia-is-sexist-but-were-trying-to-fix-it-20190824 Wikipedia Is Sexist, But We're Trying To Fix It] 10 Daily article by Melina Georgousakis on the Franlkin Women's Edit-a-thon
* 3 January 2018 [http://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/aussies-join-push-for-more-wiki-women/news-story/1ceeb9fa662ac76d1efd1c3e2986cd92 Aussies join push for more Wiki women] News.com.au article by Marnie Banger referencing University of Melbourne edit-a-thon.
* 9 March 2018 [https://sydney.edu.au/news-opinion/news/2018/03/09/6-reasons-to-join-sydney-s-women-in-wikipedia-edit-a-thon.html 6 reasons to join Sydney's Women in Wikipedia edit-a-thon] Rachel Fergus article in University of Sydney News
* 13 March 2018 [https://www.theaustralian.com.au/higher-education/higher-ed-daily-brief/women-want-to-rebalance-wikipedia/news-story/0a428fc89f637328e2dc0bbd0ecbf8c2 Women want to rebalance Wikipedia] The Australian Higher Education Daily Brief story on the University of Sydney Women in Wikipedia 2018 edit-a-thon.
* 13 March 2018 [http://redwritinghood.blogs.latrobe.edu.au/2018/03/why-shut-up-and-wiki-tseen-khoo.html Why Shut Up and Wiki?] Blog post by Tseen Khoo about La Trobe University's community of practice
* 20 March 2018 [http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/sydney-universitys-women-in-wikipedia-edit-a-thon/9566012 Sydney University's 'Women in Wikipedia Edit-a-thon'] ABC RN breakfast Fran Kelly interviews Denise O'Dea
* 1 August 2018 [https://www.theaustralian.com.au/higher-education/australian-university-groups-organise-wikipedia-editing-sessions/news-story/83f83fd781476580bcb2b45a697fe944 Australian university groups organise Wikipedia editing sessions] Feature article in ''The Australian'' Higher Education section, by Erica Cervini
* 17 October 2018 [https://wikimedia.org.au/wiki/File:2018-10-17_ABC_Sydney_Afternoons_Gideon_interview.ogg] Gideon speaks with Chris Taylor and Richard Glover on ABC Sydney's afternoon programme.
* 11 December [https://pursuit.unimelb.edu.au/articles/balancing-the-history-books-one-wikipedia-entry-a-time Balancing the history books, one day at a time] Dr Mary Tomsic and Deborah Thomas, University of Melbourne
* 12 September [http://www.lonelyplanet.com/news/2017/09/12/australia-wiki-loves-monuments-2017/ For the first time, the Wiki Loves Monuments photocall is seeking your best images of Australia] Lonely Planet article by James Gabriel Martin on Wiki Loves Monuments Australia
* 7 September [http://www.abc.net.au/radio/perth/programs/wa-afternoons/wa-afternoons/8862062 ABC Radio - Perth, WA] interview starts at 1:41:46
* 7 September [http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-07/wikimedia-photo-competition-launches-in -australia/8878500 Wikimedia needs your photographs to build pictorial archive of Australia's cultural heritage] Article about Wiki Loves Monuments based on ABC Radio Perth interview with Wikimedia Australia President by Emma Wynne
* 5 September [https://aoasg.org.au/2017/09/05/open-access-medical-content-and-the-worlds-largest-encyclopedia Open access medical content and the world’s largest encyclopedia] Australasian Open Access Strategy Group (AOASG) blog post by Thomas Shafee, Diptanshu Das, James Heilman & Gwinyai Masukume
* 4 September [https://www.campusreview.com.au/2017/09/collaborations-between-wikipedia-and-academia-benefit-everyone Collaborations between Wikipedia and academia benefit everyone] Campus Review article by Daniel Mietchen, Thomas Shafee and Andrew Su
* 8 July [http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-08/wiki-club-revives-forgotten-northern-territory-history/8690732 Wiki Club revives forgotten Northern Territory history], article on Wikiclub NT
* 7 July [http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2016/s4698111.htm 'Wiki club' building online catalogue of Northern Territory history] ABC World Today, article on Wikiclub NT
* 23 May [https://www.reddit.com/r/australia/comments/6ct2w0/we_are_from_wikipedia_the_ada_and_efa_australians/ Reddit discussion on Australian Fair Use campaign]
* 22 May [https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/05/22/australia-fair-use/ Copyright for Australia that makes sense. That's fair] Post by Liam Wyatt & Stephen LaPorte on the Wikipedia blog
* 22 May [http://www.canberratimes.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/fair-use-wikipedia-targets-australians-in-bid-to-change-the-law-20170521-gw9kzq Fair use: Wikipedia targets Australians in bid to change law] Article in "The Canberra Times" on the Fair use banner campaign
* 20-27 May [https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:FairCopyrightOz #FairCopyrightOz banner campaign] Talk page contains links to mentions
* 18 Mar [http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/art-and-design/project-to-increase-listing-of-women-architects-in-wikipedia-20170316-guzm5g.html Project to increase listing of women architects in Wikipedia] Article in ''The Age / Sydney Morning Herald'' regarding WikiD edit-a-thon at NGV
* 15 Mar [http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/lifematters/where-are-all-the-women-in-wiki/8349768 Where are all the women in wiki] ABC Radio ''Life Matters'' interview with Denise O'Dea, University of Sydney Press
* 8 Mar ABC Radio Interview, Darwin: Breakfast, interview with Caddie Brain on Wikiclub NT International Women's Day edit-a-thon
* 6 Mar [https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/03/06/graham-pearce/ What is it like to edit Wikipedia when you’re blind?] ''Wikimedia blog'' article on editor, Graham Pearce by Tony Souter
* 24 Feb [http://aliawestbiblia.blogspot.com.au/2016/02/wikidata-with-andy-mabbett.html Wikidata with Andy Mabbett] ALIA WA Biblia blog post
* 3 March [https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-07/women-erased-from-history-on-wikipedia/7225556 Why women are missing from history on Wikipedia] ABC article by Laura Hartnell for International Women's Day
* March [http://www.lgfocus.com.au/editions/2016-03/wikitown-shares-local-history.php WikiTown shares local history] ''LGFocus'' article
* 13 May [https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2016/05/ask-lh-are-wikipedia-donations-tax-deductible-in-australia Are Wikipedia Donations Tax-Deductible In Australia?] ''Ask Lifehacker'' article
* 23 May [https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2016/05/wikimedia-is-running-an-australian-photography-competition/ Wikimedia Is Running An Australian Photo Competition] Gizmodo article by Campbell Simpson
* 26 May [http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-26/wikimedia-loves-nature-photo-competition-comes-to-australia/7444862 Wiki Loves Earth photo competition comes to Australia for first time] ABC Radio Melbourne Simon Leo Brown interviews Wikimedian, Steven Crossin
* 14 June [http://www.news.com.au/technology/online/australians-fill-in-the-gaps-on-wikipedia/news-story/d4018c036ce9ca7260fda5597b04cc28 Australians fill in the gaps on Wikipedia] ''News'' article by Emma Reynolds
* 22 June ABC Radio, Darwin: Breakfast, interview with Caddie Brain on Wikiclub NT
* 1 Jul [https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2016/august/1469973600/oscar-schwartz/get-your-wiki Get your Wiki on], article on Wikiclub NT by Oscar Schwartz
* 17 Jul ''A Wikid Idea'', NT News, article on Wikiclub NT
* 2 Sep [https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2016/sep/02/ngean-noonar-noongar-is-australias-first-indigenous-wikipedia-we-want-to-use-our-language Introducing 'Noongarpedia' – Australia's first Indigenous Wikipedia] ''Guardian'' article by Monica Tan
* 7 Sep [http://rtrfm.com.au/story/noongarpedia/ Noongarpedia Interview with Professor Len Collard] ''RTRFM''
* 11 Sep [http://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/article/2016/09/08/sonnets-and-noongarpedia-language-revitalisation-takes-centre-stage Sonnets and NoongarPedia: language revitalisation takes centre stage] ''NITV'' article by Karina Marlow
* 20 Sep [https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/noongarpedia-australias-first-indigenous-wikipedia-ng-ya-258999 Noongarpedia: Australia's first indigenous Wikipedia] ''The West Australian'' article by Ben Anderson
* 30 Sep ''Wikipedia Workshop Comes to Tennant'', Tennant Creek Times, article on Wikiclub NT workshop in Tennant Creek
* 5 Oct Katherine Times, article on Wikiclub NT workshop in Katherine
* 5 Oct ABC Radio Interview, Alice Springs, Mornings, interview with Caddie Brain on Wikiclub NT workshop in Alice Springs
* 11 Nov [http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-11/noongarpedia-created-as-first-wikipedia-site-aboriginal-language/8012360 NoongarPedia created as first Wikipedia site in Aboriginal language] ''ABC Radio Nationa''l segment by Meghan Woods
* 7 Dec [https://blog.wikimedia.org/2016/12/07/paralympic-games/ Creating and writing sports history on Wikipedia: A Wikipedian’s experience at the Paralympic Games] ''Wikimedia Blog'' post by Ross Mallett
* 7 Mar [http://www.waweekender.com.au/stories/toodyaypedia/ Toodyaypedia] ''WA Weekender'' Episode presented by Dan Paris
* 18 Feb [http://www.nirs.org.au/NEWS/Noongar-pedia Noongar-pedia] National Indigenous Radio Service segment by Gerry Georgatos
* March [http://www.toodyayherald.com.au/Papers/322-1.pdf New Toodyaypedia: Recording online the way we were] ''Toodyay Herald'' article by Margie Eberle, p. 9
* 29 Aug [https://theconversation.com/wikipedia-will-help-create-the-most-visible-paralympics-ever-9031 Wikipedia will help create the most ‘visible’ Paralympics ever] ''The Conversation'' article by Professor Keith Lyons
* 1-4 June [https://www.nassh.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/nassh-proceedings-2012.pdf Sport History on Wikipedia: An Australian Evaluation] Stephen Townsend and Gary Osmond, University of Queensland presentation at North American Society for Sport History 40th Annual Conference.
* 13 May [http://www.metalounge.org/wikimedia-australia Wikimedia Australia announced as sponsor of Meta2011] Institute of Metadata Management Media release
* 5 Aug [http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/313846/wikimedia_event_seeks_open_up_australian_culture Wikimedia event seeks to open up Australian culture] Computerworld article by Dahna McConnachie, on GLAM-WIKI conference
* 26 Apr [http://www.smh.com.au/news/technology/chasers-war-on-wikipedia/2007/04/26/1177459849504.html Chaser's war on Wikipedia founder] ''SMH'' article by Asher Moses
==Research and academic articles==
* Avieson, B.(2019). Breaking news on Wikipedia: collaborating, collating and competing. First Monday, 24(5). [https://firstmonday.org/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/9530/7780 https://firstmonday.org/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/9530/7780]
* Tseen Khoo (2018). The joy of Wiki, The Research Whisperer, [https://theresearchwhisperer.wordpress.com/2018/10/16/the-joy-of -wiki https://theresearchwhisperer.wordpress.com/2018/10/16/the -joy-of-wiki]
* Dawe, L. & Robinson, A. (2017). Wikipedia editing and information literacy: a case study. Information and Learning Science, 118(1/2), pp.5-16, [https://doi.org/10.1108/ILS-09-2016-0067 doi:10.1108/ILS-09-2016-0067]
* Cummings, R., & DiLauro, F. (2017). Student perceptions of writing with Wikipedia in Australian higher education. ''First Monday, 22''(6). doi: [http://journals.uic.edu/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/7488 http://dx.doi.org/10.5210/fm.v22i6.7488]
* Digby, G. (2017). Indigenous knowledge challenges [poster]. [https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Indigenous_Knowledge_Challenges-_Gideon_Digby.pdf Wikimedia Conference 2017 - Learning Day Posters]
* Shafee, Thomas (2017). Wikipedia-integrated publishing: a comparison of successful models. ''Health Inform, 26''(2). Retrieved from [https://www.hlinc.org.au/images/Health_Inform_Articles/Health_Inform_Vol._26_No.2_2017/Health_Inform_Volume_26_Number_2_2017_-_Thomas_Shafee_-_La_Trobe_University.pdf https://www.hlinc.org.au/images/Health_Inform_Articles/Health_Inform_Vol._26_No.2_2017/Health_Inform_Volume_26_Number_2_2017_-_Thomas_Shafee_-_La_Trobe_University.pdf]
* Phillips, M., & Murray, G. (2016). Wikipedia and history: a worthwhile partnership in the digital era? ''Rethinking History, 20''(4). doi: [http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13642529.2015.1091566 doi:10.1080/13642529.2015.1091566]
* Buchanan, Jennie, Collard, Len, Cumming, Ingrid, Palmer, David, Scott, Kim & Hartley, J. (2016). 'Kaya Wandjoo ngala Noongarpedia - Welcome to our Noongarpedia', ''Cultural Science Journal, 9''(1), Chapter 2, pp. 22-36, Retrieved from http://cultural-science.org/journal
* Cootes, Simon. (2014). Marking up NSW: Wikipedia, newspapers and the State Library. Presented at VALA Conference, Melbourne, 4 February 2014. Retrieved from [https://www.vala.org.au/vala2014-proceedings/695-vala2014-session-2-cootes https://www.vala.org.au/vala2014-proceedings/695-vala2014-session-2-cootes]
* Wyatt, Liam. (2011). Wikipedia & Museums: Community Curation. ''Uncommon Culture '', [S.l.], p. 33-41, June 2011. Retrieved from [https://journals.uic.edu/ojs/index.php/UC/article/view/3851/3076 https://journals.uic.edu/ojs/index.php/UC/article/view/3851/3076]
Wikimedia Australia recognises it can be more effective working in partnership with organisations that share our mission and priorities.
also engages with many Government Agencies, Community groups and educators to help share, improve and promote the availability of freely licensed Australian content online.
Wikimedia Australia , , .
We can't do this alone we also need your help be that through financial assistance, project partnerships or just providing access to materials if you would like to help improve the "sum of all knowledge" please contact the committee with your proposal.
[[Category:Frequently asked questions]]