Coordination of projects in WA universities
Building on a number of once-off activities that I have run in Western Australian universities over the past ten years, the time has come to develop a more coordinated approach to Wikimedia projects in WA universities.
I propose in 2021 to focus on the following activities:
- Establish a partnership with UWA and facilitate projects that use content from the Historical Encyclopedia of Western Australia in Wikimedia projects
- Support the Curtin University spoken Nyungar project
- Assist with establishing a Wiki Scholar program in WA universities
- Respond to additional requests from WA universities to support edit-a-thons, and present to staff and students
- Support adhoc WMAU activities
The funds requested are to partly fund two components of this work:
- Out-of-pocket expenses: General costs include travel, parking, catering, and equipment. For instance, university network security requires me to upgrade to a laptop with WiFi 6 — 802.11ax hardware and software
- Facilitation: A notional stipend that recognises the significant time, effort, and support required to get education projects off the ground and to keep building momentum for success. This also includes the time and coordination involved in collecting data and reporting against Wikimedia and University objectives.
This education program contributes to each one of Wikimedia Australia’s three purpose statements: organising educational events that promote development of Free Cultural Works, increasing public awareness, support and participation in Wikimedia projects; and developing resources to assist Australians in the creation and maintenance of Free Cultural Works. It will also contribute to Simple APG metrics of participants, partnership and media stories. The University sector is an important and effective segment for WMAU to target for outreach and education objectives.
Success measures to be reported against include:
- Establishment of a partnership with UWA that results in re-use of content from the Historical Encyclopedia of Western Australia in Wikimedia projects
- Reports in media and/or social media that celebrate the Curtin University spoken Nyungar project
- Sharing knowledge with the global Wiki Education community, eg reporting at regional meetings, establishment of a WA WikiScholar program
- Coordination of two online or face-to-face for WA university staff or students
A progress report against these success measures will be provided to WMAU by 1 July 2021.