International Musuems Day
South Australian History Festival
On Saturday 18 May, 2019 International Museum Day, twenty South Australians reported for edit-a-thon duty at the Torrens Parade Ground, Adelaide. They spent the morning learning about Wikipedia, and adding and improving information in Wikipedia on South Australian museums. Museums to benefit included transport museums, religious museums, community archives and the Santos Museum of Economic Botany. This event was part of the month-long South Australian History Festival, well-organised by Catherine Manning, and History Trust South Australia. Thanks also to local Wikimedians Alex, Adam, Ruth and Clive for their support of the edit-a-thon.
Feedback from participants
Feedback surveys from participants in the edit-a-thon included the following:
What did you like?
- It was hands on, encouraged interaction between participants and had plenty of helpers to assist newbies.
- Gave the basics about editing Wikipedia
- Clear instructions and choices with easy accessible resources available
- The opportunity to familiarise myself with Wikipedia - its rules and protocols, which give it integrity. Had no idea it's run by volunteers!
- Such a friendly and welcoming atmosphere.
What didn't you like?
- It was too short!!! Its always a fine line time wise but I think this would make a great day event where the morning could be spent setting up/getting started/practicing and the afternoon spent in learning circles actually improving a given site or setting up a new page for a museum.
- Needed more time to practice
Would you like to attend more events like this?