Meeting: Committee (2018-07-09)
Wikimedia Australia committee meeting, Monday 9 July 2018, 4.00 / 5.30 / 6.00pm Skype
- Attendees: Pru, Sam, Gideon, Steve, Tom, Robert.
- Apologies: None.
Minutes of Previous meeting, Monday Monday 11 June 2018 Meeting:Committee (2018-06-11) (meeting 25 June was deferred for lack of quorum).
Moved: Sam; seconded: Pru; passed without dissent.
Business arising and actions
- Discussion via email on reporting for APG, including events (All) - added to this meetings agenda
- Wikimania 2017 report public version (Tom) - to do
- ESEAP conference 2018 reports (Robert & Tom) - Partly done [LINK REDACTED] - to complete
President's report (Pru)
- Update WMAU Safe Spaces Policy - to do working with children requirements
- Planning 1 Jul - AGM - next agenda https://wikimedia.org.au/wiki/2018_Annual_Plan
- Annual Plan - details of responsibilities relative to reporting requirements internal document and calendar [LINK REDACTED] - committee members to add to their calendar
Secretary's report (Tom)
- Explanation of email motions to comm wiki (Tom) -
- Do we need some way to ensure proposals are seen by all committee members (technical solution)?
- Records management processes and backups - (Tom, Sam, Pru) - needs more work before end of fy. Will happen more after the move of the wikis to WMF servers.
- Leave of absence - missing meetings - processes - require policy and process re announced absence
- Position and policy/process for communicating major events and notices to membership and community
- inward correspondence and documentation of outcomes [LINK REDACTED]
- affcom issues - related organisations to be included reciprocal membership issue
- Recovering parts of rules and regs from some years ago —https://wikimedia.org.au/w/index.php?title=Rules&action=history
- NZ author question about Wikipedia image licences for publishing (Pru responded)
- John Kidston re StarThinker.Org partnership (Gideon responded)
- Jimmy Wales re EU Copyright response (Pru responded)
Treasurer's report (Robert M)
- Acc: $61,417.92 CC: $141.62 PayPal: $ 405.96
- Income; $70 (7 x $10 membership renewals), $33,725.00 (WMF APG), $100 (2 x $50 donations), $100 ($100 donation), $10 (donation), $4.15 (acc interest), $0.01 (cc interest)
- Expenses: $50 (Xero), $2,500 (ASA sponsorship), $109 (Syd Accom Wikimania), $60.90 (Melb Wikipedia seminar), $379.02 (Wikimania registration, $780.01 (Gideon GLAM-Peak flights), $36.98 (Gideon business cards), $1,593.58 (Andy Tour flights), $1,403.10 (Kerry GLAM-Peak Cairns), $703.36 (Cape Town accom), $710.94 (GLAM Peak Broome), $130 (Wikimania travel insurance), $7.78 (PayPal fees)
- CC Top-up; $150
- APG tracking:
- Chapter Governance - Software/Subscriptions; $28.08 (Linode, Web hosting)
- Membership recruitment strategies
- Membership form draft
Communications report (Caddie)
- Newsletter May/June 2018 feedback: https://wikimedia.org.au/wiki/Publications#Newsletters
- Sending the pdf designed version is preferable to the email version where possibly the mailing list is stripping images
- Robert currently using an InDesign template
- Planning August 2018 newsletter - add the link to agenda
- Retire Wordpress blog https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T185880 - Sam
- This month in GLAM https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM/Newsletter/Newsroom due 8 July
- Publications page: templates, links to presentations etc: https://wikimedia.org.au/wiki/Publications
Technical report (Sam)
Website hosting for public and private wiki.
- Update and discussion on domain change
- If we move to WMF hosting we'll still need to maintain wikimedia.org.au domain with a minimal monthly hosting fee
- Alternative option for hosted mediawiki with our own domain (as some other chapters do) - on donation basis https://meta.miraheze.org/
- MOTION: That WMAU migrates comm.wikimedia.org.au and wikimedia.org.au to Miraheze for an annual donation AUD$240 https://meta.miraheze.org/wiki/Finance
- Moved: Tom. Seconded: Robert. Passed: All.
Proposal to the members list and a final vote - newsletter - N/A
- Phabricator board https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/wikimedia_australia/ Current tasks:
- T185875: Move the server(s) Ansible config to a public repo — Has been started; see https://github.com/wikimedia-au
- T185880: Close WordPress site blog.wikimedia.org.au — All content has been copied to the public wiki. A backup and archive still need to be created, etc.
- T185976: Upload dump of public wiki to Internet Archive — No action
- T189432: Thumbnails broken for local uploads — This and the next will be handled only if we decide not to switch to WMF hosting
- T191787: PDF files under 2 MB fail to upload —
- T189178: Remove unused email accounts — Now we're not paying for individual accounts (is that right?) this is less crucial. Andrew Owens is the only one who's replied so far, but we've not yet archived his data and deleted the account.
Discussion on changing meeting infrastructure
- Google Docs
- Some concern over embedding ourselves from reliance on Google tools
- Comm wiki should remain the long term, secure record of the committee's working
- Google Hangouts - new option called Meet is an option for live meetings
- Chat option for messaging between meetings, eg Telegram or WhatsApp - https://www.irccloud.com/invite?channel=%23wikimedia-au&hostname=irc.freenode.net&port=6697&ssl=1
WMAU event list main page - Discussion about front page events
- events we are supporting / funding /
- reporting on events for APG
- does WMAU have any approval processes for events?
- Meetups are fine to list
- WikiClub NT (Caddie)
- WikiClubWest - http://www.wikiclubwest.org.au/
- Museum of Perth, Wikipedian-in-Residence post
- June Maritime Museum - meetup
- York meeting, 12 June Gideon (APG: Outreach). -- [LINK REDACTED] &
- Jul-Sept SLWA - ongoing. 3 workshops on Sat/Sun. (APG: Community Support).
- Toodyaypedia - issues with wp editors negative impact - result Gn trip Toodyay 1/6 - still in discussion
- Public History panel, 12 June
- Meetup, Sun 8 July Fed Square
- Meetup 26 May 2018 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/Sydney/May_2018
- Mid-August possible Sydney Meetup
Digitising Kit (WA) [LINK REDACTED]
2018 WikiTour Spreadsheet [LINK REDACTED]
GLAM Peak 2018
- Toowoomba Jacinta
- Newcastle: Gillian
- Cairns: Kerry - done
- Nuriootpa: Pru
- Alice Springs: Caddie
- Broome: 26-27 June 2018 - Gideon [LINK REDACTED]
- GLAM Peak follow up activities
TROVE Consultative Group (Pru) Report on meeting Monday 4 June at National Library
ESEAP 2019 (Gideon) Gideon working on the feedback from Indonesia Meeting with Robert and Tom next week
Wiki Loves Earth (Gideon)
Wikimania 2018 (Robert)
- President's meeting delegation
- Coolest projects [LINK REDACTED]
- Community Capacity Map https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Capacity_Map
- Documentation (Redacted)
- Promotional material
- Should we have stickers, pens (cheap), USB sticks (cheap) made to give away?
- Materials available from Wikimania (Robert)
Meeting closed: 5.47 / 7.47pm
Next meeting: Meeting:Committee (2018-07-23) 4.00/5.30/6PM