Meeting: Committee (2021-09-20)

Line 112: Line 112:
*Wikimania 2021 affiliate session
*Wikimania 2021 affiliate session
WMAU affiliate session went well. 50 people watched the session live in Remo from Africa, Europe and North America as well as Australia, New Zealand and the ESEAP region. The video recording has 180 views on YouTube and 11 views on Facebook.
WMAU affiliate session went well. 50 people watched the session live in Remo from Africa, Europe and North America as well as Australia, New Zealand and the ESEAP region. The video recording has 180 views on YouTube and 11 views on Facebook.
;New ESEAP program officer: Jacqueline Chen
;Jacqueline Chen is the new programs officer for the ESEAP region on the WMF Community Resources Team. Caddie, Pru and Alex are meeting with Jacqueline on Wednesday.
*Jacqueline Chen is the new programs officer for the ESEAP region on the WMF Community Resources Team. Caddie, Pru and I are meeting with Jacqueline on Wednesday.
;Elections for WMF Board of Trustees
;Elections for WMF Board of Trustees
An election for the 4 community seats on the board of trustees was held from 18 to 31 August. The successful canditates announced on 7 September are: Rosie Stephenson-Goodknight, Victoria Doronia, Dariusz Jemielniak and Lorenzo Losa. Congratulations to the new board members.
An election for the 4 community seats on the board of trustees was held from 18 to 31 August. The successful canditates announced on 7 September are: Rosie Stephenson-Goodknight, Victoria Doronia, Dariusz Jemielniak and Lorenzo Losa. Congratulations to the new board members.
;ESEAP
;ESEAP Meeting, Sat 11 September  (Etherpad notes)
*Meeting, Sat 11 September  (Etherpad notes)
Presentation on Wikisource and Ramzi presented on universal code of conduct and will be speaking at next WMAU Committee meeting.
Presentation on Wikisource and Ramzi presented on universal code of conduct and will be speaking at next WMAU Committee meeting.  
 
===Secretary's report===
===Secretary's report===
;Reports from funded projects - none
;Reports from funded projects - none

Revision as of 06:59, 15 October 2021


19 July 2021
Committee meeting

20 September 2021

18 October 2021

This meeting has two pages: one restricted-access page (only for members of the current Committee) and one public-access page (which may have sensitive information redacted).


Introduction

Date: Monday 20 September 2021
Time / time zone: 5pm AWST / 6.30pm CST / 7pm AEST
Meeting channel: Zoom

Attendance

Attendees: Amanda, Bunty, Michael, Pru, Tom, Paige, Alex, Sam (and Caddie)
Apologies: None

Previous minutes

Minutes of previous meeting:

Moved: Alex
Seconded: Amanda

Accepted

Matters for decision

ACTIONS - dealt with under appropriate reports below

Approve WMAU submission on open access

Amanda Lawrence has drafted a submission to the Chief Scientist’s consultation on open access

Decision
Decision: That WMAU approve and submit the open access submission
Moved: Alex; seconded: Pru; outcome: Approved
Notes:
Action
Action: Caddie to format submission on letterhead and Alex to email to openaccess@chiefscientist.gov.au
Assigned to Caddiebrain.

Financial Approvals - Pru

Decision
Decision: Financial audit and BAS lodgement support (moved by email, 15 July 2021) $556.60
Moved: Pru; seconded: Tom; outcome: approved
Notes:
Decision
Decision: Insurance renewal Aon $1,171.58 inc GST; Executive Officer monthly invoice: $2515.00
Moved: Paige; seconded: Alex; outcome: approved
Notes:

}} Reason: Need for extra bookkeeping services as we are dealing with larger amounts of money and the timing created some complexities in terms of BAS

Key Matters for Discussion

Program to deliver annual plan

  • STRATEGIC PLANNING WORKSHOP

Discuss dates/times and facilitator for Wikimedia Australia strategic planning workshop. Deadline of 31 Jan 2022 for production of strategic plan [5 minutes]

Suggestions for facilitators: Patrick Moriaty from Our Community; Matrix on board - Darwin. Tending to move away from one day model for planning - a number of sessions over 2 months seems to work better. So far we’ve had 2 strategic plans. Tom: Suggestion for implementation plan so that strategy isn’t just a document. Paige: Aim for a 3-5 year plan. Pru suggestion to review the Wikimedia foundation Strategy and use that as the basis for the WMAU plan. Seems that Monday evenings work well for committee.

Action
Action: All committee members to review the Wikimedia strategy.
Assigned to All committee.
Action
Action: Caddie to contact facilitators and get back to committee with proposal and quote.
Assigned to Caddiebrain.

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2017/Direction

  • COMMITTEE TASKS FOR 2021-22 IMPLEMENTATION OF ANNUAL PLAN

Based upon our Simple APG funding application, here is a plan for the remainder of 2021-22 for discussion and allocation of responsibility against committee members

  • Community support and Mini grants including Wikidata [Caddie + Alex + Bunty]
  • Census tool [Alex + Sam]
  • Community meetings and Outreach [
  • First Nations [Caddie + Bunty]
  • GLAM & Education [Amanda + Paige]
  • Campaigns [Pru + Michael]

Bunty mentioned Sydney Uni students have a social club ‘Tech for Social Good’.

Action
Action: Bunty Will contact to suggest wikidata workshop with prizes
Assigned to Bunty.

Amanda mentioned new research infrastructure project invoving Census data could be relevant for Census tool.

Action
Action: Amanda to suggest Wikdata Census tool, once there is information on it, for consideration by HASS RDC IRISS project plan currently in development.
Assigned to AmandaSLawrence.

Pending actions from previous meeting

ACTION
Alex and Sam to coordinate development of a brief for a Census Tool (2 - 4 weeks work) - even a slide pack mocking up what we think it might look like. - Pending, discussion planned for October community meeting
ACTION
Caddie to work on Facilitators document and present at next meeting - Pending

Reports

Community Support and Outreach Coordinator report [FOR NOTING]

Note
Caddie is taking a week off from 27 September – 2 October 2021.
Communications

Published stories from James Gaunt:

Social media report

Twitter: August - 41 tweets / 4205 profile visits / 46K impressions / 67 mentions / 27 new followers July - 46 tweets / 5077 profile visits / 61.7K impressions / 60 mentions / 34 new followers June - 27 tweets / 5415 profile visits / 41.9K impressions / 28 mentions / 20 new followers Facebook: August - 6 posts / 817 reach / 41 engagements / 26 post clicks / 1 new followers July - 8 posts / 1004 reach / 32 engagements / 47 post clicks / -5 new followers June - 11 posts / 786 reach / 45 engagements / 36 post clicks / no new followers

Meetings summary

August Community Meeting City of Sydney - 3 x paralympics preparation UNSW Planning meeting Media Literacy Consultation ALIA Mike Dickison - 2 x GLAM Modules Weekly meetings x 4 - James Gaunt Exec meetings x 2 ESEAP

President's report

  • Wikimania 2021 affiliate session

WMAU affiliate session went well. 50 people watched the session live in Remo from Africa, Europe and North America as well as Australia, New Zealand and the ESEAP region. The video recording has 180 views on YouTube and 11 views on Facebook.

Jacqueline Chen is the new programs officer for the ESEAP region on the WMF Community Resources Team. Caddie, Pru and Alex are meeting with Jacqueline on Wednesday.
Elections for WMF Board of Trustees

An election for the 4 community seats on the board of trustees was held from 18 to 31 August. The successful canditates announced on 7 September are: Rosie Stephenson-Goodknight, Victoria Doronia, Dariusz Jemielniak and Lorenzo Losa. Congratulations to the new board members.

ESEAP Meeting, Sat 11 September (Etherpad notes)

Presentation on Wikisource and Ramzi presented on universal code of conduct and will be speaking at next WMAU Committee meeting.

Secretary's report

Reports from funded projects - none

Invited to Media Literacy consultation workshop and Caddie attended. The research team will create a report for AMLA (‘Toward a Media Literacy Strategy for Australia’) to be launched during Media Literacy Week (Oct 23-30). AMLA will have a new website in coming weeks: https://medialiteracy.org.au/

Correspondence

  • Movement Charter Drafting Committee - Call for Candidates and affiliate selection process
  • Australian Media Literacy Alliance
  • Open Access Australasia - Invited to participate in Open Access Australasia strategy writing session - Amanda was part of this.

Treasurer's report

Profit & Loss Statement since last meeting

Profit & Loss Statement 19 July - 18 Sep 2021

  • Current Account balances as of 18 Sep 2021
   **Westpac: $ 132,198.42
   **CC:   $ 3,744.72
   ** PayPal: $ 1,023.67
  • Income:; $1,534.95‬ in donations, $39.85 memberships
  • Expenses $56.32‬ website hosting, $104 Xero, $23.63 Paypal fees, $397.65 accounting, $3730 Exec Officer, $630 Indigenous presenters Wikimania, $500 Universities WA grant,
  • Membership report

In this period: 1 lapsed member re-subscribed (Vic), 3 new members (NSW)

Decision
Decision: That the Treasurer’s report be accepted.
Moved: Amanda; seconded: Tom; outcome:
Notes:

Technical report

https://wikimedia.org.au/wiki/Strategic_Plan_2020 ACTION: Need to have a more detailed discussion on what to do with Noongarpedia. Problem is with hosting, who is responsible now and the Wikimedia Foundation rules about dual language wikis. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Noongarpedia

  • Discussion:

Paige mentioned a new book on True Tracks by Terri Janke (2021) - “The impact of publishing language without Indigenous consent”. Which discusses a case of Wikipedia publicising language being revived by Tasmanian Aboriginal Centre (TAC) and refused to take down after the community requested that it not be public.

Activities

Global activities

  • SWAN (Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network)

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategic_Wikimedia_Affiliates_Network

  • Notes from July meeting:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategic_Wikimedia_Affiliates_Network/2021_07 Next meeting: 26 September 2021

National activities

Wikidata and GLAMs outreach

Draft Matrix, Candidate Collection Preparation Checklists and Wikidata value proposition documents published as Wikidata: Engagement with Australian GLAMs ACTION: Pru to ask Rebecca to present on the project and at a Community meeting.

History of Paralympics Project

ACTION: Try again for Tony to present and/or produce a media release on impact of project / stats for 2020 Tokyo Paralympics

Events / Local activities

Meeting close: 8.25pm AEST

  • Next Community meeting: Wed 13 October 2021, 7pm (AEDT)
  • Next Committee meeting: Mon 18 October 2021, 7pm (AEDT)
Discuss this page