Meeting: Committee (2021-10-18)

Revision as of 07:46, 21 November 2021 by AmandaSLawrence (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)


Committee meeting

18 October 2021

This meeting has two pages: one restricted-access page (only for members of the current Committee) and one public-access page (which may have sensitive information redacted).

Wikimedia australia logo.svg   Wikimedia Australia Inc.
MINUTES

Introduction

Date: Monday 18 October 2021
Time / time zone: 4pm AWST / 5.30pm CST / 7pm AEDT
Meeting channel: Zoom

Attendance

Attendees: Alex, Amanda, Bunty, Pru, Tom (and Caddie)
Apologies: Sam, Michael
Leave of absence:
Absent: Paige

Previous minutes

Minutes of previous meeting:

Moved: Alex
Seconded: Bunty

Accepted

Matters for decision

Actions - dealt with under appropriate reports below

Strategic planning process

Quote and plan for development of a three year strategic plan with Strategic Australia Communications at a cost of $6,600 inc GST payable upon completion:

Key dates: Monday 1 November 7pm AEDT Monday 29 November 7pm AEDT Wednesday 8 December 7pm AEDT, Open community meeting. Feedback on draft plan. Monday 31 January 2022

Decision
Decision: That WMAU approve the expenditure and timeline for strategic planning
Moved: Pru; seconded: Alex; outcome: Approved
Notes:
Action
Action: Caddie to accept quote and set up all meeting sessions, and clarify responsibilities and deliverables from Patrick who will revise the plan, and that 50% payment in two installments. Caddie and Alex to discuss survey with Patrick
Assigned to Caddiebrain.

Possibility to Include grants person in Community meeting - to be discussed following initial meetings. Consider issues around growth vs maintenance models. Would be good to have questions to consider re these issues.. Given the Foundation discussions it will be good to keep any survey short.

City of Sydney partnership agreement

City of Sydney have sent through a draft partnership agreement for three sessions in 2021-22 (two training and an edit-a-thon). Get the agreement updated with Alex’s details (not Caddie), otherwise recommend approval for signing.

Decision
Decision: That WMAU approve the signing of the City of Sydney agreement
Moved: Pru; seconded: Amanda; outcome: Approved
Notes:

Action | Caddie to get Alex changed as the signatory for the City of Sydney agreement and Alex to sign and return || Caddie and Alex ||

Financial Approvals - Pru

Decision
Decision: Approved
  • Executive Officer monthly invoice: $3350
    Moved: Pru; seconded: Alex; outcome:
    Notes:

Key Matters for Discussion

Australian Music Project

James and Caddie have been in touch with the Australia Council and they have agreed to $10K for an Australian Music Month pilot project. Caddie to clarify required reporting, contract and financial flow. WMAU will then need to provide a services agreement with James.

Action
Action: Caddie to finalise proposal with Australia council and bring back the committee for approval
Assigned to Caddiebrain.

Newsletter review

Producing the current PDF monthly is very time consuming. Suggestion that we could move to an html based email sent to the current mailing list. Also need to review the subscribe page on the website to consolidate the email subscriptions. Communication with members and with external audiences is a priority. Twitter does well but Facebook doesn’t get much traction. But we can’t only focus on Twitter to reach all of our potential audience.

Proposal: That we no longer produce a fully formatted PDF newsletter (to save money and time) That we send text (roughly) fortnightly emails to our member lists (as per the last fortnight) with upcoming events and updates. Review the subscription lists on to make it clearer what to subscribe to - see https://wikimedia.org.au/wiki/Mailing_lists Pru mentioned this may affect WMF reporting. Could there be a template for this depending on what the requirements are for WMF. Would also be good to focus on Diff blog as a key venue for promoting activities and news.

Action
Action: Alex and Caddie to discuss comms issues and work out a proposed way forward
Assigned to Caddiebrain.

Reminder to consult the 2020 Communications Plan - possibly need to review priorities

Committee 2021-22 Annual plan implementation

Based upon our Simple APG funding application, we need a plan for the remainder of 2021-22 and allocation of responsibility against committee members. Community support Mini grants including Wikidata [Caddie + Alex + Bunty] Census tool [Alex + Sam] ACTION: Alex and Sam to coordinate development of a brief for a Census Tool (2 - 4 weeks work) - even a slide pack mocking up what we think it might look like. - Pending, based on discussion at October community meeting Community meetings [ Outreach First Nations [Caddie + Bunty] Caddie has emailed AIATSIS and Jumbanna Institute.

Action
Action: Meeting with Jumbanna Institute early November
Assigned to Caddiebrain.

GLAM & Education [Amanda + Paige] Campaigns [Pru + Michael] Sydney Uni students have a social club ‘Tech for Social Good’.

Action
Action: Bunty Will contact to suggest wikidata workshop with prizes
Assigned to Bunty.

{{action | Amanda to suggest Wikdata Census tool for consideration by HASS RDC project plan currently in development. | Amanda

Tech for Social Good very interested and aiming to do something next year. Caddie has followed up with AITSIS Amanda and Paige hosting an edit-a-thon on 27 October. WA has some outreach programs planned.

Draft of Wikimedia Australia Facilitators Policy

A Draft document has been prepared aimed at streamlining the process for responding to requests for facilitation of training, edit-a-thons, events, partnerships etc. Aim is to create a list of qualified facilitators. Need committee feedback

Action
Action: Committee members to review the Facilitators Policy and comment on the document for discussion at the next meeting
Assigned to All committee.

Reports

Executive Officer report [FOR NOTING]

Communications

Published stories from James Gaunt:

Social media report

Twitter: September - 35 tweets / 2967 profile visits / 21.7K impressions / 88 mentions / 40 new followers August - 41 tweets / 4205 profile visits / 46K impressions / 67 mentions / 27 new followers July - 46 tweets / 5077 profile visits / 61.7K impressions / 60 mentions / 34 new followers Facebook: September - 7 posts / 919 reach / 55 engagements / 27 post clicks / 5 new followers August - 6 posts / 817 reach / 41 engagements / 26 post clicks / 1 new followers July - 8 posts / 1004 reach / 32 engagements / 47 post clicks / -5 new followers

Meetings summary

October Community Meeting Women in Red planning meetings x 4 Mike Dickison - 1 x GLAM Modules Weekly meetings x 2 - James Gaunt Exec meetings x 2 Tim, State Library Victoria ADM+S edit-a-thon planning meetings x 2 ESEAP ===President's report=== Alex

Movement Charter Drafting Committee

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Movement_Charter/Drafting_Committee/Candidates

  • 79 candidates to fill approximately 15 positions. Candidates will be appointed by an election and a selection process.
  • Michael Tse from the Hong Kong User Group has been appointed as the selector for the ESEAP region
ESEAP
  • Meeting, Sat 9 October 2021 (Meta link) (Etherpad notes)
  • New WMF CEO Maryana Iskander attended as part of her “listening tour”
  • Next meeting: 13 November 2021 (TBC)
Wikimedia Enterprise

Secretary's report

Reports from funded projects - none

Correspondence

  • Australian Media Literacy Alliance (https://medialiteracy.org.au/) National Consultation Workshops draft report received for comment by Friday . Final report will be launched next week during Media Literacy Week - 24 - 31 October.
  • RMIT Student news invitation to present on edit-a-thon
  • Updates from OAA

Treasurer's report

Profit & Loss Statement since last meeting

Profit & Loss Statement 19 Sep - 17 Oct 2021

  • Current Account balances as of 17 Oct 2021
   **Westpac: $ 128,891.84
   **CC:   $ 3,662.08
   ** PayPal: $ 1,638.53
  • Income:; $1,020.00‬ in donations, $0 memberships
  • Expenses Total: $2,617.87 - $2,515 EO $28.64 website hosting, $49.09‬ Xero, $25.14 Paypal fees
  • 2021-22 Budget
  • Membership report
Decision
Decision: That the Treasurer’s report be accepted.
Moved: Amanda; seconded: Tom; outcome:
Notes:

Technical report

Current technical tasks (feel free to leave any comments on these on Phabricator):

  • phab:T210363 Remove spam from noongarwp wiki — Does anyone care about this? Do we want to keep these two wikis? Doesn’t impact the rest of the meta:Noongarpedia project wikis.
  • phab:T291364 Move WMAU website to the Australian data centre — will not be much difference but may be a bit quicker.
  • phab:T291368 Restore categories to page footers (for logged in users only).
  • phab:T293433 Improve timezone display for events

Activities

Global activities

  • SWAN (Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network)

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategic_Wikimedia_Affiliates_Network

  • Notes from Sep meeting:

https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/SWAN_2021_09_meeting_1

Next meeting: 31 October 2021

National activities

Wikidata and GLAMs outreach

Draft Matrix, Candidate Collection Preparation Checklists and Wikidata value proposition documents published as Wikidata: Engagement with Australian GLAMs ACTION: | Ask Rebecca to present on Wikidata and GLAMs outreach at a Community meeting || Pru || To do |-

History of Paralympics Project

ACTION Try again for Tony to present and/or produce a media release on impact of project / stats for 2020 Tokyo Paralympics


GLAM Modules

In May, NZ’s former Wikipedian in Residence Mike Dickison was contracted by Wikimedia Australia to develop three training modules for GLAM sector organisations. He has completed the first introductory session here for our review and discussion:

  • ACTION | Follow up with Mike re modules || Caddie || In progress

Events / Local activities

See website

ACTIONS LIST

Action Responsble Status
Strategic planning: accept quote and set up all meeting sessions, and clarify responsibilities and deliverables from Patrick Caddie In progress
Alex changed as the signatory for the City of Sydney agreement and Alex to sign and return Caddie and Alex
James Music project: finalise proposal with Australia council and bring back the committee for approval Caddie In progress
Newsletter production review: Alex and Caddie to discuss communication and newsletter production issues and report back to committee for discussion Caddie and Alex
Newsletter production - explore alternative methods for html formats using website and mailing list Caddie and Sam
APG: Alex and Sam to coordinate development of a brief for a Census Tool (2 - 4 weeks work) - even a slide pack mocking up what we think it might look like. Alex and Sam Pending, based on discussion at October community meeting
Meeting with Jumbanna Institute early November Caddie
Contact Tech for social good to suggest wikidata workshop with prizes Bunty In progress
Amanda to suggest Wikdata Census tool for consideration by HASS RDC project plan currently in development. Amanda Done
Invite a Trove rep to speak at a Community meeting about Trove API, Australian Library Gateway and/or Partner IDs Wikidata project Pru On hold
Watching brief to review WMF Global Code of Conduct when it is determined Committee On hold
Outreach to Public Relations Institute of Australia - raised at Community meeting Steve and Caddie On hold
Follow up re GLAM modules being developed by Mike Caddie In progress
Outreach: Contact some possible organisations about our capabilities relative to similar projects as Wiki Scholar and other relevant topics/issues Amanda TBC
History of Paralympics Project: Try again for Tony to present and/or produce a media release on impact of project / stats for 2020 Tokyo Paralympics ?? On hold
Ask Rebecca to present on Wikidata and GLAMs outreach at a Community meeting Pru To do
WMAU Facilitators policy - Committee members to review the Facilitators Policy and comment on the document for discussion at the next meeting All committee In progress

Meeting close: 8:55pm AEDT

  • Next Community meeting: Wed 10 November 2021, 7pm (AEDT)
  • Next Committee meeting: Mon 15 November 2021, 7pm (AEDT)


FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS

Wiki Science Campaign

https://www.wikisciencecompetition.org

Communications Plan Amendments - Caddie

Last committee meeting Tom requested the development of a Crisis Communications Plan. It has now been drafted as an appendix of the current communications plan. Kerry Raymond has also recommended two changes to our communications strategy drafted here (see comments): The inclusion of business cards for committee and/or facilitator upon request Profiles of facilitators on the WMAU website.

Suggestion that WMAU adopt the Crisis Communications Plan drafted as Appendix 3 of the Communications Strategy and the above amendments suggested by Kerry.

Outreach to Public Relations Institute of Australia - raised at Community meeting

To increase understanding in the sector about Wikipedia’s policies Summarise COI rules and user name policy - ‘handy hints to preserve your reputation’ Is this a top 3 problem for us in Australian content? What positive message/advice can we give? ACTION: Steve will look at drafting this and Caddie will review - not urgent

Safe Spaces Policy Review

UCoC policy has been approved by the WMF Board of Trustees, currently in Phase 2 - community conversations and approval.https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Universal_Code_of_Conduct ACTION: Watching brief to review this when the WMF Global Code of Conduct is determined.

Discuss this page