Meeting: Committee (2022-04-18)

Revision as of 11:43, 4 June 2022 by AmandaSLawrence (talk | contribs) (Created page with "{{meeting |date=2022-04-18 |type=committee }} == Introduction == :Date: Monday 18 April 2022 :Time / time zone: 5pm AWST / 6.30pm CST / 7pm AEST :Meeting channel: Zoom ===Attendance=== :Attendees: Alex, Amanda, Bunty, Pru, Sam, Tom (and Caddie) :Apologies: :Absent: Michael, Paige ===Previous minutes=== Minutes of previous meeting * Monday 21 March 2022 Meeting:Committee_(2022-03-21) * That the minutes of the 21 March 2022 meeting be accepted. :Moved: Alex :Seco...")
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)


Committee meeting

18 April 2022

This meeting has two pages: one restricted-access page (only for members of the current Committee) and one public-access page (which may have sensitive information redacted).


Introduction

Date: Monday 18 April 2022
Time / time zone: 5pm AWST / 6.30pm CST / 7pm AEST
Meeting channel: Zoom

Attendance

Attendees: Alex, Amanda, Bunty, Pru, Sam, Tom (and Caddie)
Apologies:
Absent: Michael, Paige

Previous minutes

Minutes of previous meeting

Moved: Alex
Seconded: Pru
Accepted

Actions list - updated from previous meeting

Matters for decision

ESEAP conference hosting and USyd conference

Suggestion at last ESEAP meeting for Australia to renew its plans to host an ESEAP in person event by March 2023 at the latest. WMAU Have been asked to report back to ESEAP on the committee’s decision within the next few weeks.

In 2020 the plan was to host ESEAP conference in Perth but this was cancelled due to COVID-19. Last conference was in Bali in 2018 https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/ESEAP_Conference_2018

  • Option 1. August - Wikimania 2022 tie-in.

Wikimania 2022 will take place from August 11–14. It will be a primarily virtual event with support for local gatherings where possible. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2022 could host some local events although there are some questions about hybrid events and how this works. Suggestion to have Australian events in sync with Wikimania. Could tie in ESEAP with Wikimania in August but this is very soon. Could have a small group of about 10 people from ESEAP come for August. Gideon is interested in hosting in Perth.

  • Option 2. Uni Sydney WoW conference tie-in

University of Sydney Wiki research conference planned for 17-18 November 2022 being organised by Bunty. Theme is “Diversity, diasporas and digitality”. USyd event is aiming to host a public event with guest speakers. Open to collaboration with ESEAP. Wikimedia Australia/ESEAP could be a one or two day Symposium for ESEAP on the weekend following the conference - Saturday 19 and Sunday 20 Nov 2022. Might be a better option for collaboration on an event for ESEAP as there is more time and provides people with 2 days of programming as well as ESEAP. USyd could provide venue for free.

Other options

  • March 2023 - would be good to know plans for Wikimania 2023
  • Don’t host anything

WMAU Committee preference is for a 1 or 2 day ESEAP symposium in November in Sydney, Australia, attached to the USyd Wiki Research Conference. Also need to confirm with Jacqueline Chen what level of funding is available and how this would be managed.

DECISION In principle committee support for a one day ESEAP symposium in November in Sydney attached to USyd conference following consultation with WMF and ESEAP affiliates and with suitable funding |

Moved: Alex
Seconded: Amanda
Outcome: Accepted
ACTION
Alex to contact Butch to discuss ESEAP conference and November option.
ACTION
Caddie to organise a meeting with Jacqueline, Amanda and Bunty to discuss funding for conference.

Contracts and agreements

PROPOSAL: That from 1 July 2022 WMAU considers moving ongoing individual agreements of more than 12 months from contractor to employee status where appropriate.

Rationale: As more stable, ongoing funding becomes available for support of WMAU’s work, and as the commitment required to deliver ongoing programs against our ambitious strategic plan increases, WMAU needs to ensure we can retain people to lead this work. WMAU requires dedicated employees whose primary role is to implement the strategic plan and act on behalf of WMAU. We have been fortunate over the past year to engage the services of an Executive Officer on a part-time contractor basis. Not having an employment relationship as we seek to grow could become an organisational and legal risk. The Australian Taxation Office sets out the distinction between contractors and employees, and the different responsibilities of both parties: https://www.ato.gov.au/Non-profit/Your-workers

Financial implications There are several financial and administrative implications of this proposal, including WMAU taking responsibility for paying tax, super, insurance etc rather than the individual.It is highly recommended that this financial responsibility be outsourced to a specialist provider rather than be added to the voluntary Treasurer role. Current quotes for this work from specialist organisations indicate this would be approx $500 set up fee, plus for $2,500 p.a. based on a monthly payroll run.

Associated financial motion: That when WMAU employs someone, an agreement will be made with a third party payroll management organisation to manage the employment including payroll, taxation and superannuation.

Decision
Decision: In principle agreement to hire people as employees where appropriate using a third party payroll management organisation.
Moved: Pru; seconded: Amanda; outcome: Approved
Notes:

Wikimedia Summit 2022

Wikimedia Summit 2022 will be held in Berlin September 9-11, 2022 https://lists.wikimedia.org/hyperkitty/list/wikimedia-l@lists.wikimedia.org/thread/EEZWPMNU5X3SUSMOBD5AV7Q2ETYDCUT5/ Application for Affiliate representative to attend in person or online open until 24 April 2022 - (have to fill out the former either way to attend.) The final invitation list will be announced on April 29 after a thorough review of all applications. Each Affiliate can send one representative. Usual WMAU policy is for President to go and also to nominate a backup person in case this isn’t possible. Amanda nominated as back-up. WMF Affiliates with a full-time, paid Executive Director get an additional seat for that person.

Decision
Decision: That WMAU nominate the President to attend the Summit 2022 and Executive Officer if additional place is available and supported by WMF
Moved: Pru; seconded: Amanda; outcome: Accepted
Notes:
ACTION
Alex to fill in nomination form by 24 April 2022 https://wikimedia.sslsurvey.de/Application_Wikimedia_Summit_2022

Media Arts Law Agreements

Caddie met with Media Arts Law on 31 March 2022 for 30 minutes to discuss all three agreements. It was half an hour at a cost of $200. Now that they have seen the state of our agreements and we have discussed our needs they have now returned with a full quote:

  • $1,200 + GST and disbursements to update the funding and grant agreements
  • $700 + GST and disbursements to update your partnership agreement

{{decision

| decision = WMAU agrees to spend up to $2000 + GST on Media Arts law final agreements x 3 | moved  = Amanda  | seconded = Tom
ACTION
Caddie to follow up with MAL and if meeting to have a member of committee participate.

Financial Approvals - Pru

Decision
Decision: Approved
  • Executive Officer monthly invoice: $4,940
  • Two payments of $600 under Music Grant for articles
  • Renewal of Zoom licence 12 months: $209.90
  • Advanced approval for $2000 to James Gaunt for Music Project extension for 2 months, including Geelong event (paid for by partners (inclusive of catering and any associated travel costs) on presentation of invoice
  • Media Arts Law (as above) up to $2000 +GST
    Moved: Pru; seconded: Tom; outcome:
    Notes:

Matters for Discussion

Grants

For noting: WMF Community Grant submitted by WMAU and WMF Alliance grants submitted from other organisations. Committee acknowledges and thanks Caddie Brain for all the hard work in putting in the application.

Facilitator program feedback

Proposal for discussion: Policy on payment for WMAU event facilitation

Facilitator program published on website: https://wikimedia.org.au/wiki/Facilitators Invitation to a few key Wikimedians to for feedback on facilitation guidelines. Following discussion there are various complexities and contexts of the policy that still need to be worked out.

ACTION
Continue working on facilitator policy

COMMITTEE 2021-22 ANNUAL PLAN IMPLEMENTATION

Based upon our Simple APG funding application, here is a plan for the remainder of 2021-22 for discussion and allocation of responsibility against committee members:

Community support Mini grants including Wikidata [Caddie + Alex + Bunty] Census tool [Alex + Sam] WMAU Monthly Community meetings [Caddie + Tom] Outreach First Nations [Caddie + Bunty] GLAM & Education [Amanda + Paige] Campaigns [Pru + Michael] - Report from Margaret re WLE

Reports

Executive Officer report [FOR NOTING]

Communications

The Record is going to Geelong Inaugural Wikidata Fellows announced

Media

https://wikimedia.org.au/wiki/Media

Social media report

Twitter: March - 24 tweets / 2394 profile visits / 8.9K impressions / 37 mentions / 14 new followers February - 21 tweets / 922 profile visits / 13.7K impressions / 31 mentions / 24 new followers January - 34 tweets / 1017 profile visits / 28.8K impressions / 50 mentions / 43 new followers

Facebook: March - 9 posts / 878 reach / 33 post clicks / 64 engagements / 2 new followers February - 7 posts / 565 reach / 15 post clicks / 31 engagements / 0 new followers January - 7 posts / 789 reach / 22 post clicks / 47 engagements / -2 followers

Instagram: March - 6 posts / 21 likes / 70 followers February - 5 posts / 19 likes / 59 followers January - 2 posts / 13 likes / 48 followers

Meetings summary

April Community Meeting Weekly meetings x 4 - James Gaunt Exec meetings x 2 NGA SWAN ESEAP Liquid HR / Elements HR Media Arts Law Jacqueline, WMF Franklin Women SA Museum / Science Australian Music Vault Jazz Melbourne International Jazz Festival

President's report

Alex

Wikimedia Summit, 9-11 Sep 2022

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Summit_2022

ESEAP
  • Meeting, Sat 9 April 2022 (Meta link) (Etherpad notes)
  • Conference proposal
  • Next meeting: 7 May 2022 (TBC)

Secretary's report

Correspondence

  • Meeting organised with ACMI in Melbourne to discuss collaboration with Wikimedia platforms and other activities.
  • Email from James Clark re collaboration with Digital Rights Watch - to be discussed next meeting.
  • Email from Ramzy Muliawan re the 2022-23 Wikimedia Foundation Annual Plan and invitation to discuss the plan of record for the Wikimedia Foundation's work. You can find the schedule of calls on Meta-wiki. The Sunday, 24 April conversation at 07:00 UTC (your local time) would be particularly friendly to your time zone, and we will be providing support for Bangla, Chinese, Hindi, Indonesian, Japanese, and Tamil.
  • Email to Alex from Rosie Stephenson-Goodknight <rstephenson@wikimedia.org> Conversation with the Trustees Meeting (21 April at 10:00 UTC)

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Community_Affairs_Committee/2022-04-21_Conversation_with_Trustees

  • New guidelines for WMF Rapid Funding program

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Programs/Wikimedia_Community_Fund/Rapid_Fund_updates_(2022)

Membership report New members: 2 new members: VIC & QLD

Treasurer's report

Profit & Loss Statement since last meeting

Profit & Loss Statement 21 Mar - 18 Apr 2022

  • Current Account balances as of 18 Apr 2022
   **Westpac: $ 106,229.26   
    **CC:   $2,836.89
   ** PayPal: $2,987.85 
  • Income:
    • Event facilitation: $600 Franklin Women $2000 City of Greater Geelong
    • $‬410.45 in donations, $19.90 memberships
  • Expenses Total: $7,802.36 - $4,490 EO; $27.58 website hosting, $49.09‬ Xero, $23.87 Paypal fees
  • 2021-22 Budget

DECISION: That the Treasurer’s report be accepted.

Moved: Alex
Seconded: Tom
Outcome: Approved

Technical report

Current technical tasks (feel free to leave any comments on these on Phabricator):

Activities

Global activities

  • SWAN (Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network)

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategic_Wikimedia_Affiliates_Network

  • Notes from Sep meeting:

https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/SWAN_2022_04_meeting_1 Next meeting: 1 May 2022 - TBC

National activities

Events / Local activities

https://wikimedia.org.au/wiki/Events

Meeting close: 9:20pm AEST

  • Next Community meeting: Wed 11 May 2022, 7pm (AEST)
  • Next Committee meeting: Mon 16 May 2022, 7pm (AEST)
Discuss this page