Meeting:Public (2012-07-01)/Log

From Wikimedia Australia
< Meeting:Public (2012-07-01)
Revision as of 19:56, 1 July 2012 by John Vandenberg (talk | contribs) (partial log for late comers ;-))
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
14:00 <gnangarra> anyone around yet?
14:01 <jayvdb> yup; meeting starting now ;-)
14:01 <jayvdb> note that the log will be published on the WMAU wiki
14:01 <jayvdb> gday sDrewth; good to see you here
14:01 -!- Graham87 [~BluFudge@210-079-021-184.dsl.sta.jazi.net] has joined #wikimedia-au
14:02 <Graham87> hi all
14:02 <jayvdb> hi Graham
14:02 <jayvdb> are you all set for DC ?
14:02 <Graham87> yes, I can't wait!
14:02 -!- frazerwa [~frazerwa@CPE-121-219-162-128.lnse2.lon.bigpond.net.au] has joined #wikimedia-au
14:03 <Graham87> hi Anne
14:04 -!- oO [~tanvir@wikimedia/wikitanvir] has quit [Ping timeout: 264 seconds]
14:04 <frazerwa> hi Graham
14:04 <sDrewth> probably russavia
14:05 <sDrewth> done the bins, checked the flooding, come back inside
14:06 <Graham87> the flooding?
14:06 <sDrewth> I use the flooding lightly, just lots of water flowing through the low parts of the block
14:06 <Graham87> ah not so bad then
14:07 <sDrewth> nah, we live at altitude, so if we flood Werribee and Geelong are doomed
14:07 -!- brian__ [~chatzilla@CPE-58-165-30-48.vic.bigpond.net.au] has joined #wikimedia-au
14:07 <sDrewth> there has been a lot of rain though
14:08 <Graham87> Hi Brian
14:08 <brian__> Hi folks. I just had to reinstall chatzilla on a new machine and it is not using my usual nick. Never mind.
14:09 <foks> Oh, yes, today's July 1!
14:09 <foks> Woopsie.
14:09 <sDrewth> need to do your tax return?
14:10 -!- oO [~tanvir@wikimedia/wikitanvir] has joined #wikimedia-au
14:10 <foks> ...yes. bollocjs.
14:10 <foks> *ks
14:11 <jayvdb> I've started our GLAM report  http://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM/Newsletter/June_2012/Contents/Australia_and_New_Zealand_report 
14:12 -!- Chriswaterguy [~User@c211-30-55-215.frank3.vic.optusnet.com.au] has joined #wikimedia-au
14:14 <foks> Hello Chris!
14:14 <jayvdb> wb Chris
14:14 <Graham87> hi Chris
14:16 <Graham87> previous edit to GLAM report was me, forgot to log on
14:16 <jayvdb> as some of you may know, I am over in Indonesia atm.  the main project I am working on is a Wikisource project with Wikimedia Indonesia.  They are running a competition to transcribe https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Index:A_dictionary_of_the_Sunda_language_of_Java.djvu 
14:17 <jayvdb> winner gets a trip to Jakarta to the screening of Truth in Numbers.
14:17 <jayvdb> prize capped at ~$USD 200
14:18 <jayvdb> resulting activity can be seen at https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Special:RecentChangesLinked/Index:A_dictionary_of_the_Sunda_language_of_Java.djvu 
14:20 <jayvdb> it would be good if we ran a similar competition to transcribe something like https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Index:An_Australian_language_as_spoken_by_the_Awabakal.djvu 
14:20 -!- p858snake|l [~p858snake@unaffiliated/p858snake] has joined #wikimedia-au
14:21 <Addi|HIMYM> Oh, hello all :-)
14:24 <foks> jayvdb, sounds like a good idea!
14:25 <sDrewth> <- can think of better things to be doing in Indonesia than transcriptions
14:25 <sDrewth> <sowwy>
14:27 <jayvdb> I can think of better places in Indonesia to be than Jakarta
14:27 <Graham87> what are your impressions of the place? Wikitravel says it's more than a little chaotic, for a start
14:28 <sDrewth> fair call, I know no better either way
14:29 <jayvdb> Graham87: is certainly is that
14:29 <jayvdb> https://twitter.com/jayvdb/status/218571523299098624 
14:30 <jayvdb> and I spend way more time in taxis than I want
14:30 <jayvdb> I suspect that this is why they use mobile technology so much - they are stuck in traffic
14:31 <frazerwa> the compilation of the dictionary looks very interesting
14:31 <Graham87> @jayvbd: oh gawd, I thought Rome was bad ...
14:31 <jayvdb> sDrewth: are there any other Australian language dictionaries on Wikisource ?
14:33 <sDrewth> none of which I am aware, though I cannot say that I have explored that space
14:33 <sDrewth> 	File:A Descriptive Vocabulary of the Language in Common Use Amongst the Aborigines of Western Australia.djvu
14:33 <jayvdb> https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Portal:Australia#Transcription_projects lists a few about Indigenous Australians, but no dictionaries 
14:33 <sDrewth> exists at Commons
14:34 <jayvdb> a Dictionaries portal would be good
14:34 <jayvdb> there is a https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Portal:Languages 
14:36 <sDrewth> that last File seems to be part of one "Diary of ten years eventful life of an early settler in Western Australia" anyway
14:36 <jayvdb> oh, I started https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Index:A_Descriptive_Vocabulary_of_the_Language_in_Common_Use_Amongst_the_Aborigines_of_Western_Australia.djvu 
14:37 <sDrewth> I haven't done an indepth view
14:40 <jayvdb> does anyone have questions or ideas they want to discuss?
14:42 <brian__> The finacial year is now over. When will be the AGM?
14:46 <jayvdb> the ctte hasnt discussed dates
14:47 <jayvdb> any suggestions?
14:49 <brian__> If we do not have to make changes in the people responsible for fund-raising after the AGM, then October will do
14:49 <brian__> otherwise September
14:50 <brian__> It has to be done before end of November
14:50 <brian__> However we need the audit of accounts for the AGM
14:53 <jayvdb> ive added the 'before December' rule to http://www.wikimedia.org.au//wiki/General_meeting 
14:54 <brian__> The rule is actually "within five months of the end of the financial year" but "before December" will do
14:56 <frazerwa> within 5 months after the end of the Association's financial year; and also we have to lodge the annual stqatement within 1 months of holding the meeting
14:56 <frazerwa> *statement*  *1 month*
14:56 <jayvdb> All of our fundraising representatives are able to stay on in those roles, baring an unexpected problem
14:57 <jayvdb> I think aiming for September is a good idea.
14:59 <frazerwa> we need to check if we can have our financial statements in time for the AGM so we might also have to look at October
15:00 <jayvdb> nod
15:00 <frazerwa> we have various other aspects to put in place also that are important 
15:02 <jayvdb> such as?
15:02 <Chriswaterguy> Heh - didn't notice the activity here - I'll need to actually set an alarm next time :-)
15:03 <frazerwa> we need to clarify as per the 2011 Returning Officer's recommendations for voting;
15:03 <jayvdb> would be good to write up more detailed minutes of the last AGM.
15:03 <frazerwa> and we have discussed the possibility of Rule changes which need thorough discussion
15:04 <frazerwa> jayvdb - yes
15:04 <jayvdb> thanks for bringing up rule changes.  we do need to identify those early
15:05 <frazerwa> they have been identified and captured as such; they have not been discussed on comm page yet but we are ready to do this thing
15:05 <russavia> can someone tell me how to unsubscribe from members@wikimedia.org.au ?
15:05 <frazerwa> oh russavia, why?
15:05 <jayvdb> russavia: email me and it will be done.
15:06 <russavia> i'm quitting projects at end of july
15:06 <russavia> tx john
15:07 <Addi|HIMYM> russavia: :O really? :(
15:08 <jayvdb> are there any rule changes the membership wants to have considered
15:09 <Chriswaterguy> jayvdb: "winner gets a trip to Jakarta to the screening of Truth in Numbers" -> cue variation on an old joke: "runner-up gets a trip to Jakarta to the screening of Truth in Numbers - winner is allowed to stay at home."
15:09 <frazerwa> we will of course seek membership consideration on the changes; first we need to get them in order and prepared
15:09 <jayvdb> the prior public discussions about rule changes are at http://wikimedia.org.au/wiki/Talk:Rules 
15:17 <jayvdb> was the 2011 Returning Officer's recommendations for voting published ?
15:18 <brian__> Sorry, I had to step away and will now have to go out. I support what Anne says above
15:19 <jayvdb> found it. http://www.wikimedia.org.au/wiki/Election_Report_-_2011-2012_WMAU_Committee_Nominations_and_Voting 
15:20 <jayvdb> brian__: will you be the returning officer again, if the issues identified last time are addressed?
15:21 <jayvdb> if any rule changes are necessary before the AGM, we will need to conduct an SGM first
15:48 <jayvdb> in re last public meeting .. http://wikimedia.org.au/wiki/Meeting:Public_%282012-06-03%29 
15:49 -!- u99of9 [~chatzilla@202-159-168-127.dyn.iinet.net.au] has joined #wikimedia-au
15:49 <jayvdb> Peter-} did download the dumps of enwiki (and other wikis) and sent them to Melbourne
15:50 <jayvdb> the tech guys in Melbourne had difficulty installing enwiki onto the cloud.  it is still not up and running
15:51 <jayvdb> unless someone else is interesting in trying, the USB drive will be sent to Craig
15:53 <brian__> I'm back. Yes, I will be Returning Officer if the committee wants me to be. I suggested an appointment this month
15:54 <u99of9> bah, missed the whole meeting, sorry
15:54 <u99of9> is the log up already?