Meeting talk:2012 AGM/Candidates/Graham Pearce
< Meeting talk:2012 AGM | CandidatesJump to navigation Jump to search
Hi Graham I've noticed that you have yet to post any statement given that its now 18:00 AEDT and elections open tomorrow I have some questions;
As a current member of the committee;
- Why would the proposed employee be based in Brisbane when the association is incorporate in Victoria given that we have legistaltive reporting requirements there?
- Why was there a need to develop a new COI policy when it was already incorporated into the new rules that were published in April and at a time when the FDC application appears like it should have taken a priority in committee work?
- Why was there delay with FDC application? How does the current board see this as impacting our ability to get funding and our relationship with the Foundation?
- Why was the COI between John and the president of Indonesian chapter not disclosed during the last years AGM vote on WMAU proceeding with the language conference? What steps did you take to ensure that WMAU was not being compromised by its involvement in a situation that has the appearance of a COI? How does this COI impact any ongoing planning for the Indonesian language conference?
- Do you believe that this years committee communicated in a fast and effective manner? What are some examples of the board not responding quickly and effectively this term and how will you address those if elected in the next term?
- What actions did you take address concerns raised about the inadequacies of last years AGM? What have been the problems so far in this election cycle and do you feel the board prepared adequately for these election?
- Why given the issues raised about commincation for the AGM has the committee not made arrangements for each city to have a venue available for members to join the AGM more effectively?
- When I emailed you about arranging a venue in Perth you responded saying that you dont attend AGM's. You also said that you dont know what is required for an AGM
- will you be attending this years AGM and if so through what method?
- Can you explain the responsibilities of a Vice President and the responsibilities of a committee member
- Gideon, thanks for your questions, although I think it's a bit odd to be cross-questioning your opposite number in the election for vice-president. I'll do my best to answer them:
- If there are regulatory issues with a Brisbane base, I'm sure the committee will "base" the employee in whatever jurisdiction is appropriate.
- Only a draft of the COI policy was developed. The recent circumstances in which WMUK has found itself make the development of the policy for our chapter a high priority
- I believe WMAu was pretty unfairly treated by the FDC process. The staff were aware that there were technical difficulties that were going to make it almost impossible to submit by the advertised date, and acted in ways that suggested a late submission would be acceptable. The inaugural FDC round has been a learning process for all concerned, and we have the option of re-applying in Round 2 in March, only months away.
- I think Craig Franklin has answered this more than adequately. I was impressed that the disclosure was made at an early stage.
- We need to do better, and I believe we will. I will note that this year we've been up against inactivity by two office-bearers at critical times. Being on the committee is not an easy job, and we are volunteers. John and Craig in particular have put a lot of work into representing the chapter, and we now see a substantial plan for this year. I urge members to comment on it.
- Could you be more specific? I'm not sure I can respond productively to the question as it is.
- There will be more information about this shortly.
- This is what I said in the email, in response to your question about organising a venue: "I don't see why not, but having never attended a Wikimedia-au AGM, I don't know what's involved in doing this. What is required of the potential venue?" During my time as a WMAU member, there has been one AGM (last year's meeting) and I couldn't attend it because I was overseas at the time. To answer your sub-questions specifically:
- I am most certainly planning to attend this year's AGM. Whichever method is used, I would very much prefer to have full access to the IRC conversation.
- Along with the president, to provide leadership and cohesion to the committee, to shoulder my share of the burden of running the chapter, and to act as president in case of his/her absence. Graham87 02:37, 16 November 2012 (EST)