Proposal_talk: Wikipedia loves ... my town
I suggest a name change to "Wikipedia loves... my place". In cities, I think if you call it "my town" you will got lots of the classic tourist locations (which we already have), but if you call it my place, you'll get more emphasis on the suburbs (which is what we need). --99of9 21:01, 30 September 2011 (EST)
- I like the thrust of your suggestion, however .. "my place" is a bit too close to home. I'd love a word which was somewhere between "town" and "place". John Vandenberg 21:28, 30 September 2011 (EST)
This is a great project. Thanks to those who've come up with it. A few comments:
- Think big, I say, for the bother of running this: let's get more bang for our buck by going for two categories, $1k each; an under-18 category was suggested at the WMAu meeting today. I'd be willing to hunt down school-teacher professional associations in the visual arts field to promote this prize to them.
- I'd go for cash prizes, money to be spent on further photographic contributions to Commons. Why not be flexible, so if a winner already has a good cam, let them spend it on other photographic equipment, or a good computer application for editing, or transport to landscape or townscape we need photographed on Commons.
- Are we going to mention EV (encyclopedic value)? Do we want yet another pic of the Sydney Opera House or the Harbour Bridge? And we don't want pics of grandad; people-subjects should have an article on en.WP already, or be notable under our rules.
- Should something be said about post-production editing? Maybe not, or it becomes too complicated.
- A limit of three entries per person was discussed at the meeting.
- Excluding regular uploaders to Commons was discussed at the meeting, so the focus is on attracting new contributors.
- A couple of people possibly volunteer as advisors, to assist in uploading and categorising at Commons? Is there an expectation that those who don't win will upload too?
- Make it a condition that WMAu be acknowledged on the description page for winning entries? Tony1 22:18, 2 October 2011 (EST)