In 2010 Wikimedia Australia is offering a series of Small Grants to its members to assist them with their work on Wikimedia projects or other activities directly related to Wikimedia Australia's mission. Up to $100 per application is available to assist with funding activities which members may otherwise be unable to undertake.*
How to apply
1. Applications for grants should be made by email to contactwikimedia.org.au
2. Your application email should contain:
- Your membership and contact details and the title of your proposed project.
- A brief description of your proposed project or purchase.
- A brief explanation of how your proposed project fits with the chapter's Statement of Purpose.
- A brief description of how the success of your project would be measured.
- The amount of money you would like! And how you would like to receive it.
The application should not be long - a couple of paragraphs is sufficient.
3. Receipt of your application will be confirmed by the secretary and your application will then be considered by the committee. The committee may request further clarification or an alteration or adjustment to the proposed project.
4. The committee notifies you of the result of your application.
Some examples of projects that could be funded include:
- The purchase of new photography equipment which will be used to create new content for Wikimedia Commons.
- Venue hire or catering to host a local Wikimedians meetup in a city or town that has not been able to successfully organise a meetup before.
- Access fees for a non-public library or academic journal to enable better sourcing of Wikipedia articles.
- Digitisation fees for significant public domain items in an archive.
- Printing information sheets or stickers for use in an "introduction to Wikipedia" presentation.
- Attendance fees for a short course in the use of software or learning a skill related to your Wikimedia work.
Receiving the grant
Small grants may be paid by direct bank transfer, paypal or cheque. For accounting purposes, the committee prefers successful applicants to make their approved purchase first and then submit a copy of the receipt for reimbursement of the agreed amount. However, in some cases it may be necessary for the grant to be paid in advance of the purchase. If you wish to receive the grant in advance, please indicate this on the application and explain the reason. If the requested grant will only cover a proportion of the total cost of your project, please indicate the total cost of your project and the source of the remaining funds.
Result of application
The Chapter secretary will confirm receipt of applications and applicants will be advised of the status of their proposal after the committee meeting following their application. Meetings are held on the third Sunday of each month. Successful applications will also be published in the minutes of the meeting and publicly announced. Unsuccessful applications will be kept confidential.
*A current financial member of Wikimedia Australia at the time of the application. Whilst you may apply for more than one small grant, preference will be directed to members submitting their first applications. This funding is not available to current members of the Wikimedia Australia elected committee. The total pool of funds for this project is limited but may be expanded at the discretion of the Chapter committee if the first round of small grants are deemed successful.