Strategic Planning/SWOT analysis< Strategic Planning
Revision as of 03:26, 16 July 2011 by Juttavd
SWOT analysis 2011
This is a work in progress document started by User:Juttavd as part of the strategic planning process.
- Tech savvy membership across a broad range of competencies esp. OSS.
- Members with important other positions contacts, involvement.
- Academically connected membership!
- Positive financial balance!
- Good contacts with allied orgs. in cultural institutions.
- Geographic diversity [also a negative] - presence in membership and on committee in most states.
- Public awareness of WP, great goodwill.
- Connection to broader WM movement and associated capabilities.
- English language community that reduces interaction costs.
- Cheap, good software development infrastructure.
- Lack of membership engagement.
- Geographic diversity [also a positive] prevents IRL meet-ups.
- Lack of communication (between cities/states, Chapter members, inter-Chapter, public).
- Lack of a physical base.
- Poor separation between activities of English WP and WMAU.
- Lack of public and community awareness of Chapter.
- Limited capability and capacity in NFP management (e.g. fundraising, press, legal, tech, etc)..
- Australia's presence on English WP is difficult to measure and inconsequential.
- Crown Copyright (vs US govt public domain) therefore harder to get govt-related Australian content.
- Significant section of potential user base on dial-up, satellite. Part of broader digital divide.
- Lack of understanding about WMAU membership demographics.
- Financial management and reporting processes are underdeveloped.
- Not currently DGR / charity status.
- Working with the established Australian media (e.g. ABC).
- Working with GLAM.
- Working with Education.
- Diversifying fundraising (e.g. grants from WMF/philanthropy or other organisations, including tied grants)
- Becoming a significant granting body.
- Nearby countries/languages - Indonesia, NZ, PNG.
- Supporting Australian editors (esp. power users).
- Gov't advocacy around free knowledge issues.
- Supporting and developing the volunteer network (outreach, tech, fundraising, dev).
- States feeling left out - factionalising?
- Legal - suing for libel etc.
- Changes on regulatory environment.
- Potential misuse of funds (internal or external).
- Other Chapter / WMF / WP scandal and reputational issues.
- Reliance of single revenue stream (not wholly in WMAU control)
Please go to Retreat_March_2009/SWOT to see what was identified in 2009.