Worlds of Wikimedia 2019
The Worlds of Wikimedia communicating and collaborating across languages and cultures held 2-14 June 2019 at the University of Sydney, Camperdown, New South Wales
Wednesday 12 June 2019 Opening Event
SSB Lecture Theatre 200, Social Science Building. Co-hosted by Worlds of Wikimedia Conference and Sydney Ideas.
- 6-7.30pm Dr Martin Dittus, Oxford Internet Institute, in conversation with Professor Jaky Troy, University of Sydney, hosted by Dean Annamarie Jagose.
- 7.30-8.30 Welcome drinks for conference delegates and registration.
Thursday 13 June 2019 Day 1
Room S226, Department of Media and Communications, John Woolley Building, Manning Rd.
- 9.15-9.30 Welcome to country with Uncle Alan, a Gadigal man from the Eora nation.
- 9.30-10.30 Keynote Professor Jaky Troy
- Special Sufi performance by Adnan Bhatti
- 10.30-11.00 Morning tea
- 11.00-12.30 Dr Bunty Avieson - Minority language Wikipedias for cultural resilience
- Adrian Estevez Iglesias - Galician Literature in Wikipedias: from Middle-Age lyric to contemporaneous crime fiction
- Ivonne Kristiani - Encouraging Knowledge Production by Women in Arts & Culture in Indonesia
- 12.30-1.30 Lunch
- 1.30-2.30 Keynote Dr Carwil Bjork-James
- 2.30-3.15 Dr Frances Di Lauro - Wikipedia and languages
- 3.15-3.45 Afternoon tea
- 3.45-4.45 GLAM presentations, host Liam Wyatt, founder and coordinator for GLAMwiki Europeana.
- Kerry Raymond - Creating Wikipedia articles from CC-BY content; how hard can it be?
- 4.45-5.45. Dr Toby Hudson - Wikidata and how it is helping to overcome language biases
- 6.00 Drinks and Conference dinner, Holmes Courtyard.
Friday 14 June 2019
- 9.15-10.00 Keynote Ingrid Cumming, Noongarpedia
- 10.00-11.00 Caddie Brain and Joel Liddle - Developing Indigemoji - the political tensions of combining some of the newest and oldest languages in the world in an app.
- Carrol Quadrio - How digital technology enables literacy for Indigenous peoples
- 11.00-11.15 Morning Tea
- 11.15-12.15 Jacinta Sutton - Libraries, Wikipedia and the yield of knowledge
- Jedidiah Evans - Wikiprisons: Carceral education and the limits of knowledge
- 12.15-1.00 Keynote Liam Wyatt - Wikipedia as Palimpsest
- 1.00-1.30 Lunch
- 1.30–3pm. Roundtable
- 3.00-3.30 Afternoon tea and finish.