Steps to consider in organising a meetup, a webinar or a training event
Plan the event
- What are the dates/times?
- Where is the venue and what are the facilities?
- Who is the intended audience?
- What is the goal or theme of the activity?
- Who is available to attend, facilitate, train and participate in the activity?
- What kind of budget will be required for travel, venue, catering, coordinator, advertising?
- Which Wiki or project is the focus: Wikipedia, Wikidata, Commons, Wikisource - or a geographical/subject?
Set the event up online
- Create the title of the activity
- Create a description of the event
- Create a registration page and note the link
- If the target audience consists of experienced Wikimedians only, then create a page in an appropriate Meetup or WikiProject space
- If you are looking to attract new or inexperienced people, request an Eventbrite registration form
- Create a dashboard for the event as part of Wikimedia Australia campaign https://outreachdashboard.wmflabs.org/campaigns/wikimedia_australia_201920/overview
Promote the event
- Add to the Wikimedia Australia calendar
- Add to WMAU Facebook (and to relevant project pages)
- Post on Twitter
- Post to relevant external promotional platforms
- Request external organisations to post to relevant news channels