GLAM Peak Cairns
Wikimedia Australia was a technology partner for the GLAM Peak Digital Access to Collections workshop held at the Stratford Library meeting room, 11 Kamerunga Road, Stratford, Queensland on Wednesday 2 and Thursday 3 May 2018.
The workshop was attended by 32 attendees from 15 organisations.
Organisations attending included:
- Cairns and District Chinese Association
- Cairns Family History
- Cairns Historical Society
- Cairns Libraries
- Catholic Diocese of Cairns
- City Libraries Townsville
- Curtin University
- Family History Association of North Queensland
- Herberton Mining Museum
- James Cook University
- Kuranda Historical Society
- Kuranda Media Association
- Mulgrave Shire Historical Society
- Pau Enterprises
- UMI Arts
Twitter hashtag for the event #digaccess_qld
As a result of the workshop there was interest from libraries in edit training for librarians and the public.
Key topics of interest to follow up include:
- Articles on Far North Queensland Chinese History
- Red links for Cairns bishops and vicars apostolic
- Significant Indigenous biographies from Erub (Darnley Island)
Photo shoot of Cairns streetscapes
As part of the visit Kerry took photos of Cairns suburbs and localities, noting that getting a photo of a 'typical street of houses' is almost impossible in Cairns, due to the very lush high vegetation in gardens, which blocks any view of the houses further down the street. This involved instead finding a lookout over the suburb from some high point.