Draft media policy
The committee recognises the importance of dealing with the media in a professional and ethical manner, and of building and protecting the chapter's public reputation via the media. The chapter's members are encouraged to participate in public debate and to share their knowledge and expertise regarding free culture and Wikimedia and its projects with the media.
This policy provides the committee and membership with a framework for interaction between the chapter and the media.
Policy and procedure
Communication with the media generally falls under two categories: chapter communication and private individual communication.
Official chapter communication
- The committee is responsible for making statements and releasing press releases on behalf of Wikimedia Australia.
- In some instances the committee may delegate this responsibility to an appropriate agent.
- It is important that committee members distinguish between requests to comment in an official or private capacity; if unsure, comments should be requested from other committee members, via the committee's mailing list.
Private individual communication
Wikimedia Australia's members are encouraged to participate in a personal capacity in public debate and to share their knowledge and expertise regarding free culture and Wikimedia and its projects with the media.
- Members of the chapter, including committee members, have the right to engage with the media and to freely express their opinions in their private capacity as individual members of the community.
- Unless a chapter member is speaking to the media in the capacity of an official position within the chapter or as a delegated representative, members making public comments must not in any way indicate or imply that they are speaking on behalf of the chapter.
- When making private individual comments, committee members must be clear that they are speaking in a personal capacity and not as a representative of the chapter.
- Committee members engaging with the media in a personal capacity should ensure at all times that the confidentiality and integrity of the committee is maintained at all times.
- Committee members engaging with the media are expected to declare any conflict of interest that may arise in the course of their involvement with the media.
- This policy does not otherwise restrict the rights of any chapter member to engage with the media.
Chapter members, including members of the committee, are encouraged to publish or comment via social media, including blogs, social networking sites such as Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter. The media policy also applies to the use of social media and commentary on social media, which carries similar responsibilities to any other kind of publication or commentary.
- Media: The term "media" includes all forms of print, radio, television and electronic media.
Administration of this policy
The committee is responsible for the administration and management of this policy, and for future amendments where necessary.