Proposal: Adopt 2012 model rules
- This page is a proposal being developed by our members. The proposal was moved by John Vandenberg and seconded by Graham87. If you are not a member of the organisation, you may request an account on this wiki using special:RequestAccount, and discuss this proposal on the discussion page.
This proposal is to adopt the 2012 model rules, and hold an SGM to make any necessary amendments.
Our previous rule amendments have largely been incorporated into the new model rules:
- Electronic participation in meetings Done (i.e. red throughout the current rules)
- Electronic verification of identity (i.e. 29(3))
- Removal of application form from the rules Done (i.e. Green parts of current rule 4; rule 9 of the new rules)
- Committee age restriction Done (i.e. Red in current rule 20; rule 48 of the new rules)
- Removal of inactive committee member Done (i.e. non-attendance to three consecutive meetings) They have taken our wording precisely, but also added Rule 66 which defines leave of absence.
- Ability to nominate for one office and the ordinary member election; order of ballot Done
- Electronic voting using open source code : Not done NOT ALLOWED in model rules (ballot must be a paper based secret8 ballot) however this is not prohibited by schedule 1 ( Question: Does the new Act have anything to say about this? John cant see anything explicit, except that the rule that allows electronic participation may mean the voting must be done during the election rather than before it.)
- Winding up - transfer to a similar non-profit Done Rule 75
- Explicitly not for profit - Not done This could be covered by the inclusion of our wmau:SOP into the new Rule 2.
Significant new problems arising:
- Committee members must reside in Australia.(new Rule 48)
- membership must be minuted. Minutes dont need to be public, but access to non-public minutes must be given to members.
- Protocols for member access to internal minutes are needed.
- This is the exact same problem as the existing problem that thee 'register of members' being available to members.
Minor new problems arising
- Under 15yo must be recorded as associate-non voting member: we dont have any under 15yo members. Solution: dont accept members under 15yo - the rules allow rejection without reason minuted, so we dont break privacy in doing this.
- proxy appointment must be signed. Scan should suffice, but it means an email isnt sufficient.