Proposal: Non-member participation
- This page is a proposal approved by the committee. The proposal was moved by John Vandenberg and seconded by privatemusings. If you are not a member of the organisation, you may request an account on this wiki using special:RequestAccount, and discuss this proposal on the discussion page.
This proposal is to open the official Wikimedia Australia, Inc. website to permit participation by non-members.
The public website of the organisation is a 'wiki' which is configured to allow participation by members only. Members and non-members alike have lamented that the 'wiki' does not permit participation by non-members.
There are many potential issues with non-member participation, most of which have not been investigated thoroughly from a legal perspective.
In order to speed up the process, the committee will appoint one or more people who will be responsible for approving new user accounts and blocking problem users. They will be expected to verify the identity and suitability of new accounts, and familiarise themselves with the applicable laws when required before making decisions.
The role of "account approver" will only be given to people identified by their real name. Non-members and members may apply for this role. Office bearers may not apply, however ordinary members of the committee may apply.
The committee will base their decision on:
- knowledge of our legal framework
- experience with private information and minors
- participation in Wikimedia projects
- customer support skills
Applications should be emailed to the committee privately.
An "account approver" may temporarily grant sysop to any member for at most one month, and any non-member for at most one week. Sysops privileges are not to be used for purposes not approved by the "Account approver". Requests for permanent sysop will be made by the committee in consultation with the "account approver".
Initially non-members will be able to:
- participate in discussions in the talk page namespace of any existing page.
- edit their own user page.