Retreat March 2009/SWOT
Jump to navigation Jump to search
10:40 brianna (chair), brian, liam (minutes)
"Where are we now?"
- Incorporation process
- Small org, will remain small for some time.
- However, quite different in that we are a small, member org, with a national scope.
What services do we provide?
- not much (yet).
- Mailing list, officialwiki
- monthly reports - potentially combine together for an annual report to be sent to members in a nice end of year document.
What is our org structure?
Committee -> Members -> (meetups) -> friends of the family.
- Tech savvy membership across a broad range of competencies esp. OSS.
- Members with important other positions contacts, involvement.
- Positive financial balance.
- Good contacts with allied orgs. in cultural institutions
- Geographically diverse [also a negative].
- Public awareness of WP, great goodwill.
- English language community
- Poor links to some states, especially brisbane which has enough people, but not much relationship with the committee.
- Not much money (?)
- Geographically diverse [also a positive]
- No dedicated tech person (committee position)
- Lack of public awareness of Chapter
- No experience in fundraising
- Poor allies in media.
- Grants - WMF and other.
- Media [also threat]
- Merchandise - esp. licensing of english logos/marks.
- Nearby countries/languages - Indo., N.Z., PNG,
- Gov't policy changes (good or bad) such as Internet filter = positive attention to us [also threat]
- Members not renewing.
- States feeling left out - factionalising?
- Tech infrastructure failing (hosting
- Legal - suing for libel etc.
- Copyright lobby
- Media [also opportunity]
- Gov't policy changes.
- Foundation staff, foundation board.
- Related orgs - PHM, CC-au, ADA, LA, EFA...
- Australian editors
- Other chapters
- Regulatory - CAV