Difference between revisions of "Meeting:2016 AGM/Minutes"

From Wikimedia Australia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(early draft - will send to new committee for revisions)
(No difference)

Revision as of 19:39, 9 October 2016

Minutes of the 2016 AGM of Wikimedia Australia, Inc.

DRAFT

  • Date: 9 October 2016
  • Meeting opened at 17:20 AEDST, Gideon Digby (President) in the chair.


1. Attendance and Apologies
  • Attendees: Gideon Digby (chair), Pru Mitchell, Andrew Owens (minutes), Tom Hogarth, Caddie Brain, Gillian White (text), Brian Salter-Duke (text)
  • Apologies: Steven Crossin, Michael Billington, Robert Myers, Kerry Raymond, Mark Hurd
2. Minutes
2.1 Acceptance of the minutes of the 2015 AGM - Moved Pru Mitchell, seconded Gideon Digby, carried without dissent
3. Reports
3.1 Acceptance of the Meeting:2016 AGM/President Report/President's Report - Moved Tom Hogarth, seconded Andrew Owens. Carried without dissent.
Gideon spoke to his report, and thanked outgoing members Andrew Owens (Secretary and Treasurer), Steven Crossin and Charles Gregory for their years of service. The Wikidata tour was successful in terms of building connections, including with Wikimedia Indonesia, and Gideon argued the new committee should try to emulate this. Noongarpedia was a successful project, ready to share learnings in other states. WikiClubNT, set up during this term, is going well. Wiki Loves Earth was a roaring success - over 4,000 entries and great photographs, with international judging to proceed soon. ALIA West was interested in Wiki to the Moon. A branch structure was created which provides local groups with legal coverage etc for independent projects - the first branch has commenced in WA with Tom as liaison person.
Caddie reported on this week's tour to NT regions which attracted 6 people in Alice Springs, 6 people in Tennant Creek and 5 in Katherine. Tom raised the importance of reporting for Outreach, Wiki Loves Libraries and GLAMWiki, noting that projects such as Caddie's should be getting more attention, and drew the meeting's attention to an ongoing project at the State Library of Western Australia relating to newspaper materials. Gillian argued that hosting Wikimania was infeasible.
3.2 Acceptance of the Secretary's Report - Moved Gideon Digby, seconded Pru Mitchell, carried without dissent. Andrew presented the report, spoke about the Special General Meeting and rule changes earlier in the year, and as a departing member of the committee, thanked various people. Tom noted that there had been a much better handover than on previous committees and wished to record his thanks.
3.3 Acceptance of the Treasurer's Report - Moved Pru Mitchell, Gideon Digby, carried without dissent. Andrew presented the report, and noted the organisation has $40,824.90 in funds, and had spent almost $22,000 during the term. He believed that the approx $7,000 spent on the Wikidata tour was more effective (in outreach terms as well as financially) compared to a central conference location. Other things funded included face to face committee meetings, 15th anniversary parties, Darwin tour. Gillian was thanked for her assistance with the Wikidata tour. Tom asked what the requirements were on public reporting for the financials - Andrew replied that the headline figures were published on the public website, along with some explanation of them.
4. Election - not required due to sufficient candidates for all positions.
4.1 Nominations - The following report was received from the Secretary:

Nominations received by the Secretary prior to the close of nominations. The "checked" column indicates that, as required by the Rules:

  • There are two nominators, both current financial members
  • The nominee is a current financial member
  • The nominee has accepted the nomination

As no position received more than one nomination, no elections were required. Thus the following people will be declared elected at the AGM.

Three vacancies - all ordinary committee positions - remain. Under the Rules, the AGM can fill these positions from the floor, or they can be left vacant for the Committee to co-opt under Rule 21(4).

Position Nominee Nominator Seconder Checked

President

Gideon Digby

Tom Hogarth

Pru Mitchell

Yes

Vice President

Pru Mitchell

Gideon Digby

Tom Hogarth

Yes

Secretary

Tom Hogarth

Andrew Owens

Pru Mitchell

Yes

Treasurer

Robert Myers

Andrew Owens

Pru Mitchell

Yes

Ordinary committee
(4 positions)

Caddie Brain

Gideon Digby

Robert Myers

Yes


The chair presented the above nominations, and under the rules declared all of the candidates elected. There was a call for nominations for the three vacancies. None were received, and it was noted that the committee can co-opt general members during its term.
ACTION: Pru to raise access for Caddie to Wikimedia infrastructure with Michael Billington (IT adviser).


5. General Business
Andrew was thanked for getting the previous term's minutes loaded to the website. Gideon will send an email around to the committee to determine the best days for holding committee meetings. Gillian noted she was coaching an underwater photographer who is photographing Australian marine creatures and is working up to another outreach and GLAM wiki effort.

Closed 18:00 AEDST.