Benefits of becoming a member include:
- voting rights at meetings
- officialwiki editing rights
- access to special members-only mailing lists
- the chance to steer Wikimedia Australia's direction and influence the Wikimedia Foundation chapter-selected Board seats
- probable future discounts, and
- other warm fuzzies.
How to become a member of Wikimedia Australia
- Fill out and submit the registration form at the Member Database. Be sure all the submitted information is correct.
- You will receive a confirmation email with the subject Application for Wikimedia Australia Membership asking you to confirm your email address by clicking a link.
- After you confirm your email address, your application is then sent to the committee for approval. (This should normally take around three working days.)
- If your application is approved, you will receive another email with the subject New Wikimedia Australia Membership Status: Pending - Pending. This email contains information about how you pay your membership fees at the relative rates - (AUD$40/year, AUD$20/year concession).
- Once the secretary confirms that your payment has been received, your new membership status will be Member - Ordinary Member. You will receive a confirmation email to inform you of the status change. The secretary will automatically add you to the members mailing list unless you request otherwise. The email address you provided will be the primary method of contact regarding all Wikimedia Australia meetings and other events, unless you inform the secretary otherwise.
Renewal of membership
Membership renewal is due by July 1, 2009.
The committee approved two motions at the March 2009, meeting:-
1) That members joining and paying a subscription after 1 April in any financial year, be fully paid up until the end of the following financial year.
The purpose of this motion is give a concession to those joining late in the financial year. Anyone joining now will be covered until June 30, 2010. Please urge you friends to joint now.
2) For the 2009- 2010 financial year only, members, who paid prior to 1 April 2009, may pay half of the appropriate subscription for the 2009 - 2010 financial year, provided the payment is paid before the due date of 1 July, 2009 (I anticipate some laxness on this point, but the rules do specify a due date so we should not formally alter it).
Since we started the association late in 2008, and most members paid in December 2008, or early in 2009, they have in effect only had half a years membership. This motion means that the foundation members who joined before April 1, 2009, will pay half the normal rate for the 2009 - 2010 year. That is they will pay $20 for normal membership and $10 for concession membership, provided it is is paid in advance before 1 July.
Remember, the half-price rates only apply if you renew before July.
If you have any questions, please email the Treasurer at treasurerwikimedia.org.au
How to renew
Simply make a payment (according to Payment methods) with a comment including your name and if there is room, also the word "renewal", and also email the treasurer (treasurerwikimedia.org.au). It's not necessary to do anything in memberDB for renewing.
At this time, the available payment methods are listed below. Further payment types may be added at a later stage.
- Direct Deposit (highly preferred)
- Cheque or Money Order
Cheques and money orders
Should be sent to:
Wikimedia Australia, Inc. PO Box 114 Sorrento, VIC 3943 Australia
With an accompanying note mentioning your name, email address and the purpose of the payment (e.g. joining, renewing).
If you pay via international tranfer, our SWIFT Code is BENDAU3B. Please add AUD$2 for the bank fee.
- BSB: 633-000
- Account No.: 134821859
- Account name: Wikimedia Australia Incorporated
- SWIFT Code: BENDAU3B (only for international transfers)
If you wish to pay via credit card or Paypal (http://www.paypal.com/), our account is <treasurerwikimedia.org.au>. You can also email this address to get a Paypal payment request, which can be paid via Paypal account or credit card (a Paypal account is not necessary).
If at any time you have problems or you want to ask about the progress/status of your application, please contact the Secretary at secretarywikimedia.org.au.