Meeting:Committee (2012-08-19)

From Wikimedia Australia
Jump to: navigation, search

The committee meeting of 19 August 2012 commenced at 15:05 hours (AEST) [Log 15:05 hours] on #wmau-comm.

Attendance

  • Attendance: John (Chair), Anne, Charles, Craig, Graham
  • Apologies: Laura

Minutes

After some discussion the Chair moved that the Minutes be accepted.

Motion: That the Minutes of the Committee Meeting held across 22 and 31 July be accepted.

  • Moved: John
  • Seconded: Graham
  • Support: Craig, Charles, Anne

Carried without dissent [Log: 15:27]

Reports

Membership Report

The Chair called for a report on the membership.

There have been No new editors on the wiki.

Since the last report in the July Minutes we have received a new application for membership that has been accepted. A few responses have been received to the communication to members about rationalising the membership which ostensibly resulted in a request from two members to update their details which has been done.

One new membership was approved during this period, this person was previously a financial member but had resigned their financial membership. Three existing members renewed their membership until 30 June 2013 during the calendar month of July 2012.

Incoming Correspondence Report

Action for the Chair to inform the committee of all incoming correspondence and status.

Arrow green.svg Action: John [Log 15:37]

Finance Report

The Treasurer provided the financial Management Report for July and the Quarterly BAS Activity Statement for April to June. Summary version is that WMAU will receive $591 back on the BAS this quarter. The total closing bank balance at the end of July was $138,128. [Log 15:41]

Since the end of July WMAU have settled some debts with Tony Souter originating from HOPAU and paid Robert Myers to attend the AWM event.

Social Media Report

WMAU twitter followers have been growing slowly - mainly through activity retweeting others.

Wikimania Reports

The Chair thanked Charles and Graham for their reports which are to be formalised for publishing.

Arrow green.svg Action: Wikimania reports from Charles Gregory and Graham Pearce to be published.

WMAU Program Activity

Camera equipment program

The Chair advised the removal of the word 'grant' and discussion on the approval of both pending applications.

Various discussion included - using the term 'volunteer support program' including text in the policy to specify that it is not a grant but rather a reimbursement scheme; that other Chapters use the term 'grant' but they don't have the same tax issues as WMAU; that WMF's "participation grants" has been renamed "participation support"; conversely that the program could extend to offering non-financial support as well, where that can be useful; and that the phrase "volunteer support program" could easily be taken as referring to non-financial matters and tasks.

The meeting linked to http://www.wikimedia.org.au/wiki/Proposal:Camera_equipment_program

Motion: That the text of the camera equipment program be updated to replace the incorrect term 'grant' with 'expenses' or 'support'.

  • Moved: John
  • Seconded: Craig
  • Support: Charles, Graham, Anne

Carried without dissent [Log: 16:16]

Arrow green.svg Action: The page wmau:Proposal:Camera_equipment_program to be updated.

Motion: That JJ Harrison's small equipment support application for $500 be approved, pending receipts of equipment being sent to the treasurer.

  • Moved: John
  • Seconded: Graham
  • Support: Craig, Anne, Charles

Carried without dissent [Log: 16:17]

Before discussing and voting on the next application the Chair sent through an email to the committee which had been received as a kick start support application from Russavia.

Motion: That Russavia's camera equipment kick start support application for $200 be approved, pending receipts of equipment being sent to the treasurer.

  • Moved: John
  • Seconded: Graham
  • Support: Charles, Anne,
  • Abstain: Craig

Carried without dissent with one abstain [Log 16:31]

Payments

As per the finance report. As the management report gives an estimate of pending payments it was decided to remove the "To be paid" section from further agendas. [Log 16:33]

Proposals

Proposal about state representation on Committee

The proposal about state representation on the committee, which Charles had previously mentioned, was noted by John and a link to it was provided. [Log: 15:54]

Wikimedia Takes the Australian War Memorial

Following up from the previous committee meeting, drafting of a public proposal wmau:User:Lankiveil/Proposal:Travel assistance scheme for Wikimedia Takes the Australian War Memorial initiated a lengthy discussion on the members mailing list. The public proposal was seconded by Gnangarra on 9 August 2012‎.

The committee has approved Resolution:Wikimedia takes AWM funding on 16 August 2012‎, and communicated the decision to Gnangarra and Bidgee.

The event takes place this Saturday 25 August 2012.

General Discussion

Audit

There was discussion on the outstanding documents yet to be provided to the Auditor for the preparation of the audit for the previous year ending 30 June 2011. The Treasurer has provided a list of everyone who paid a membership fee across the whole year. [Log 16:52] Anne highlighted that the difficulties faced in consolidating the membership lists stems from the way the membership information is handled by several people who work separately in office bearer positions. [Log 16:53]

Arrow green.svg Action: Craig and John to investigate the few remaining cases where the membership status of persons as of 30 June 2011 was not consistent across the Wikimedia Australia systems, and submit the membership list to the auditor. [Log: 16:54-55]

Funds Dissemination Committee

Discussion on what is needed to fulfil all the requirements for applying to the FDC. Chapter activity reports from 2008. Audit documents for years' 2011 and 2012 are required. The Treasurer will get the 2011-year's audit sorted first, and then immediately look at the 2012 audit after that. [Log 17:05].

Annual General Meeting

There was a discussion on beginning to organise for the AGM by committee and to include a public discussion in the preparations. Charles agreed to be the "champion" of a public page for the 2012 AGM. [Log 17:06].

Arrow green.svg Action: Charles to set up wmau:Meeting:2012 AGM.

Meeting closed 17:13 hours