Wikimedia Australia is the Australian chapter of the international Wikimedia Foundation. As an independent, not-for-profit organisation and registered charity, we support our members, the broader community and partner organisations to contribute to Wikipedia, Wikidata and other Wikimedia platforms through events, training and partnerships.
Our mission and purpose
We support the mission of the Wikimedia Foundation, to empower and engage people around the world to collect and develop educational content under a free license or in the public domain, and to disseminate it effectively and globally. As a chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation offer our members an official voice in the global Wikimedia community.
Our purpose is to:
- To grow and promote the development and sharing of free knowledge through open source software systems
- To develop educational resources to grow participation in Wikimedia platforms and projects
- To increase public awareness and support for Wikimedia platforms and projects
Wikimedia Australia accepts donations via PayPal, direct bank deposit, internet banking transfer, cheque or money order. Donations to Wikimedia Australia, while greatly appreciated, are currently are not tax deductible. Read more on our frequently asked questions page.
What we do
We support people and organisations to contribute to Wikipedia, Wikidata and other Wikimedia platforms through events, training and partnerships. We:
- Train people and organisations to learn about and how to edit Wikipedia and other Wikimedia platforms
- Support experienced editors to continue to grow and develop their contributions to Wikimedia platforms through networking and training
- Run workshops, edit-a-thons and events with our network of Wikimedia Australia Facilitators
- Codesign programs and partnerships that address gaps and bias on Wikimedia platforms
- Run and facilitate local engagement in global campaigns like Wiki Loves Earth and #1Lib1Ref
- Connect regional editors with the global editing community
- Advocate for open access and the creation of free cultural works
To organise an edit-a-thon or training, explore a partnership or pitch a project email us at: email@example.com