Jump to navigation Jump to search
Media coverage of Wiki activities, editors and community members in Australia
- 18 January 2021: User:Canley interviewed by Adam Shirley, ABC Radio Canberra Mornings about Wikipedia's 20th birthday (from 2:09:00 mark)
- 22 February 2021: Author and historian Adam Wakeling interviewed by Amanda Vanstone on Radio National: Counterpoint, Coups and crack downs. "Happy Birthday Wikipedia! You're 20 and still going strong 'growing to become one of the world’s top 15 websites with a vast database of 55 million articles in 317 languages, as well as a family of related projects covering everything from travel guides to recipes'. Adam Wakeling takes us through the history of Wikipedia and compares to one of the great works from the Enlightenment, the Encyclopédie. Both are not without their problems, but even so, lets raise our glasses and offer three cheers to this 'expansive free encyclopedia..with an army of volunteer writers'." (Archived audio, 8.9 MB.)
- 22 February 2021: Article in UTS News What's Wikipedia’s role in deciding who gets honoured? about the Wikipedia and Australian Honours project by Heather Ford, Tamson Pietsch and Kelly Tall
- 5 March 2021: Article in the Melbourne Catholic about the Women in Religion Project, Project to highlight Australian women in religion
- 11 March 2021: International Women's Day: Women Artists Article by Liz Pigeon, Yarra Plenty Regional Library on Art+Feminism edit-a-thon.
- 13 March 2021: Saturday Extra (full programme), Radio National. Interview with Caddie Brain, Heather Ford, and Richard Cooke. (Archived audio, 17.5 MB.)
- 23 March 2021: Australian Women in Religion Edit-a-thon Article by Michelle Eastwood in Vox, University of Divinity news.
- 24 March 2021: More Wikipedia Women Article about the Australian Women in Religion project, in Catholic Voice.
- 8 April 2021: Breakfast, ABC Melbourne. Paul Kennedy talking to Rosie Stephenson-Goodknight about Women in Red. (Archived audio, 5'43", 4.6 MB.)
- 8 January 2020: User:Gnangarra interviewed by Trevor Chappell on ABC Radio Overnights. Edited audio: File:2020-01-08 ABC Local Radio, Gideon Digby.ogg
- 26 February 2020: Caroline Phillips interviewed by Areej, 3RRR The Rap: Wiki-edits, decolonization and afrofuturism on the lack of of black, brown and femme voices editing and and contributing to Wikipedia ahead of the Art + Feminism Wikipedia Edit-a-thon Melbourne, Australia event.
- 7 - 8 March 2020: Caddie Brain interviewed on ABC Melbourne & Perth about Know My Name edit-a-thons.
- 3 April 2020: QAGOMA Blog post Edit-a-thon: Women artists from the collection on the Art+Feminism edit-a-thon organised by Dr Louise Mayhew
- 18 June 2020: 2020 Western Australian Heritage Award finalists Ingrid Cumming, Professional contribution
- 30 June 2020: Western Australia heritage awards commendation: Ingrid Cumming
- 2 July 2020: Wikipedia Librarians at Work Report by Infolass, on 1Lib1Ref 2020 at Yarra Plenty Regional Library.
- 30 July 2020 Data analyst/visualisation expert needed Blog post by Heather Ford about UTS pilot project.
- 30 July 2020 Wikipedia and history: a worthwhile partnership in the digital era? Post by Murray Phillips, UQ on History on the Wiki, about the History of the Paralympic Movement in Australia project (HoPAu).
- 25 August 2020 The Paralympics was due to begin today. The movement's history shows us it's about so much more than sport ABC The Drum article by Ruby Cornish, about the History of the Paralympic Movement in Australia project (HoPAu)
- 4 November 2020 Redressing Gender Imbalances at National Gallery of Australia Ocula article about the Know My Name initiative at the National Gallery of Australia
- 24 February 2019 Women's Art Register Art+Feminism Wikipedia Edit-a-thon
- 22 March 2019 March 2019 Queensland Memory newsletter features QWiki
- 1 May 2019 Is Wikipedia stealing the news
- 19 May 2019 Robots in the classroom and news on Wikipedia ABC Radio National Future Tense interview with Bunty Avieson starts at 21.40 mark
- 10 July 2019 Wikipedia and YPRL together Post by Liz Pidgeon on the #1Lib1Ref project with Yarra Plenty Regional Library
- 25 July 2019 Most Wikipedia profiles are about men - these women in Australia are hoping to change that SBS News video article by Cassandra Bain about the Franklin Women Edit-a-thon at the University of Sydney
- 25 July 2019 Boosting visibility of women in STEMM, one Wiki entry at a time Sydney Morning Herald article by Wendy Tuohy
- 25 July 2019 Combatting gender bias on Wikipedia ABC Radio RN Drive presented by Patricia Karvelas with Guest: Dr Sarah Frost
- 26 July 2019 Australian researchers join global movement to improve visibility of women in STEM ABC feature article by Brooke Wylie and Olivia Willis on the Franklin Women's Edit-a-thon at the University of Sydney
- 24 August 2019 Wikipedia Is Sexist, But We're Trying To Fix It 10 Daily article by Melina Georgousakis on the Franlkin Women's Edit-a-thon
- 16 September 2019 WikiD: women, Wikipedia, Design – Beazley Designs of the Year Award WikiD project nominated for Beazley Designs of the Year Award. Film commissioned by Parlour
- 30 October 2019 The National Gallery of Australia takes next step towards artistic gender parity Media release about #KnowMyName campaign
- 3 January 2018 Aussies join push for more Wiki women News.com.au article by Marnie Banger referencing University of Melbourne edit-a-thon.
- 9 March 2018 6 reasons to join Sydney's Women in Wikipedia edit-a-thon Rachel Fergus article in University of Sydney News
- 13 March 2018 Women want to rebalance Wikipedia The Australian Higher Education Daily Brief story on the University of Sydney Women in Wikipedia 2018 edit-a-thon.
- 13 March 2018 Why Shut Up and Wiki? Blog post by Tseen Khoo about La Trobe University's community of practice
- 20 March 2018 Sydney University's 'Women in Wikipedia Edit-a-thon' ABC RN breakfast Fran Kelly interviews Denise O'Dea
- 1 August 2018 Australian university groups organise Wikipedia editing sessions Feature article in The Australian Higher Education section, by Erica Cervini
- 17 October 2018  Gideon speaks with Chris Taylor and Richard Glover on ABC Sydney's afternoon programme.
- 11 December Balancing the history books, one day at a time Dr Mary Tomsic and Deborah Thomas, University of Melbourne
- 12 September For the first time, the Wiki Loves Monuments photocall is seeking your best images of Australia Lonely Planet article by James Gabriel Martin on Wiki Loves Monuments Australia
- 7 September ABC Radio - Perth, WA interview starts at 1:41:46
- 7 September Wikimedia needs your photographs to build pictorial archive of Australia's cultural heritage Article about Wiki Loves Monuments based on ABC Radio Perth interview with Wikimedia Australia President by Emma Wynne
- 5 September Open access medical content and the world’s largest encyclopedia Australasian Open Access Strategy Group (AOASG) blog post by Thomas Shafee, Diptanshu Das, James Heilman & Gwinyai Masukume
- 4 September Collaborations between Wikipedia and academia benefit everyone Campus Review article by Daniel Mietchen, Thomas Shafee and Andrew Su
- 8 July Wiki Club revives forgotten Northern Territory history, article on Wikiclub NT
- 7 July 'Wiki club' building online catalogue of Northern Territory history ABC World Today, article on Wikiclub NT
- 23 May Reddit discussion on Australian Fair Use campaign
- 22 May Copyright for Australia that makes sense. That's fair Post by Liam Wyatt & Stephen LaPorte on the Wikipedia blog
- 22 May Fair use: Wikipedia targets Australians in bid to change law Article in "The Canberra Times" on the Fair use banner campaign
- 20-27 May #FairCopyrightOz banner campaign Talk page contains links to mentions
- 18 Mar Project to increase listing of women architects in Wikipedia Article in The Age / Sydney Morning Herald regarding WikiD edit-a-thon at NGV
- 15 Mar Where are all the women in wiki ABC Radio Life Matters interview with Denise O'Dea, University of Sydney Press
- 8 Mar ABC Radio Interview, Darwin: Breakfast, interview with Caddie Brain on Wikiclub NT International Women's Day edit-a-thon
- 6 Mar What is it like to edit Wikipedia when you’re blind? Wikimedia blog article on editor, Graham Pearce by Tony Souter
- 16 Jan Critical thinking tools - the CRAP test Teacher article by Pru Mitchell
- 24 Feb Wikidata with Andy Mabbett ALIA WA Biblia blog post
- 3 March Why women are missing from history on Wikipedia ABC article by Laura Hartnell for International Women's Day
- March WikiTown shares local history LGFocus article
- 13 May Are Wikipedia Donations Tax-Deductible In Australia? Ask Lifehacker article
- 23 May Wikimedia Is Running An Australian Photo Competition Gizmodo article by Campbell Simpson
- 26 May Wiki Loves Earth photo competition comes to Australia for first time ABC Radio Melbourne Simon Leo Brown interviews Wikimedian, Steven Crossin
- 14 June Australians fill in the gaps on Wikipedia News article by Emma Reynolds
- 22 June ABC Radio, Darwin: Breakfast, interview with Caddie Brain on Wikiclub NT
- 1 Jul Get your Wiki on, article on Wikiclub NT by Oscar Schwartz
- 17 Jul A Wikid Idea, NT News, article on Wikiclub NT
- 2 Sep Introducing 'Noongarpedia' – Australia's first Indigenous Wikipedia Guardian article by Monica Tan
- 7 Sep Noongarpedia Interview with Professor Len Collard RTRFM
- 11 Sep Sonnets and NoongarPedia: language revitalisation takes centre stage NITV article by Karina Marlow
- 20 Sep Noongarpedia: Australia's first indigenous Wikipedia The West Australian article by Ben Anderson
- 30 Sep Wikipedia Workshop Comes to Tennant, Tennant Creek Times, article on Wikiclub NT workshop in Tennant Creek
- 5 Oct Katherine Times, article on Wikiclub NT workshop in Katherine
- 5 Oct ABC Radio Interview, Alice Springs, Mornings, interview with Caddie Brain on Wikiclub NT workshop in Alice Springs
- 18 Oct Wikipedia is already the world’s ‘Dr Google’ – it’s time for doctors and researchers to make it better The Conversation article by Dr Thomas Shafee
- 11 Nov NoongarPedia created as first Wikipedia site in Aboriginal language ABC Radio National segment by Meghan Woods
- 7 Dec Creating and writing sports history on Wikipedia: A Wikipedian’s experience at the Paralympic Games Wikimedia Blog post by Ross Mallett
- 7 Mar Toodyaypedia WA Weekender Episode presented by Dan Paris
- 18 Feb Noongar-pedia National Indigenous Radio Service segment by Gerry Georgatos
- March New Toodyaypedia: Recording online the way we were Toodyay Herald article by Margie Eberle, p. 9
- 29 Aug One more sleep until the Paralympic Games The Conversation article by Professor Keith Lyons
- 29 Aug Wikipedia will help create the most ‘visible’ Paralympics ever The Conversation article by Professor Keith Lyons
- 13 May Wikimedia Australia announced as sponsor of Meta2011 Institute of Metadata Management Media release
- 5 Aug Wikimedia event seeks to open up Australian culture Computerworld article by Dahna McConnachie, on GLAM-WIKI conference
- 26 Apr Chaser's war on Wikipedia founder SMH article by Asher Moses