Meeting:Committee (2018-11-26)

From Wikimedia Australia
Jump to navigation Jump to search


Committee meeting

26 November 2018

This meeting has two pages: one restricted-access page (only for members of the current Committee) and one public-access page (which may have sensitive information redacted).

WMAU 2017 vertical logo (colour).svg   Wikimedia Australia Inc.
MINUTES

Open

  • Date: Monday 26 November 2018
  • Time / time zone: 4pm WA / 5.30pm NT / 7pm AEDT
  • Meeting channel: Skype
  • Attendees: Tom, Pru, Sam, Robert, Caddie
  • Apologies: Steve

Minutes of previous meeting

Agenda

Priority setting and action plan

0. Draft and publish a WMAU Statement of Principles regarding indigenous communities

Short statement [draft]
Define: terminology and context for this statement (eg International Year of Indigenous Languages)
Wikimedia Australia respects the rights of all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. Every effort will be made to work respectfully within cultural protocols of Traditional Owners. Wikimedia Australia supports projects which can clearly show that they are guided and supported by the traditional knowledge holders relevant to the projects.

Detailed statement [draft]
Wikimedia projects that deal with Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islanders practices, history, and people today need to:

  1. Be initiated by Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islanders, with Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islanders people deciding this project is a priority and requesting it happen.
  2. Have Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islanders on the project team, not as ‘cultural consultants’ but as writers, coders, researchers, and educators.
  3. Be driven by Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islanders, with the community filling the majority of roles and leading the team
  4. Be placed within and engage with Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islanders communities, so the community can talk face-to-face to the team at any time, not just on-wiki’
  5. Deliver clear benefits at the end to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders – funding and resources going into the community and staying there, First Nations people gaining skills and becoming able to independently run more projects themselves.

If there is currently a skills and participation gap amongst Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders such that these conditions can't be met, all projects dealing with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders and content should be put on hold until a community of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders. Wikimedians has been recruited and supported, and this will be one of the core goals of the WIkimedia Foundation and its affiliates.

ACTIONS
Start narrow as a draft statement - start internally with WMAU membership and their immediate networks. Draft wording for introducing the draft statement.

Invite feedback and document and explore the grey areas - document the issues experienced on wiki - eg MoS guideline

We then need to talk to Indigenous people, and engage with lead organisations over the grey areas - the obvious set of stakeholders, including Indigenous units in universities

Need a discussion paper/essay on the whole issue: Caddie is well-placed on this as an Engagement and Research project leading to a discussion paper including definitions and terminology

Caddie and Robert volunteering to scope and drive this, Gideon and Tom interested as well

References

ACTION Working group (Caddie, Robert, Gideon and Tom) to report back to next meeting (or between meeting) with agreed statement and rationale/context

0.5. Figure out which conference to pursue

Venues:

  • Crown Burswood
  • Perth Convention and Exhibition Centre
  • Esplanade, Fremantle
  • UWA
  • Conversation: Perth Convention Bureau
host national Wikiconference for community
  • how big - 30-50 people
  • eligible for $10,000 WMF grant for local or national conference
  • SLWA $3,000 (3 days) for 200 seat auditorium
  • common week, long weekend October 2019
  • include AGM

ACTION:

  • Working along either WIkimania or National community conference with a decision in February 2019.

WMAU - We need another meeting and have it as the WMAU face to face that we didn’t have - as there are still outstanding issues for committee to go through at length in person ACTION: Organise a weekend workshop meeting to deal with outstanding committee business Action: To discuss a potential face to face in the lifetime of ‘’this committee’’

1. Capacity audit + plan (CCM)

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Capacity_Map

  • complete baseline audit and complete map online
Using the notes from the working groups at the face to face we will complete a first pass at the map, then invite feedback ::https://wikimedia.org.au/wiki/Strategic_Planning/2018-19#Capacity_building_map
  • plan to build capacity in priority areas
  • update CCM

2. Survey of editors

Assessing needs, interests/passions, and optionally usernames, special skills, etc.

  • design survey goals, create questions, review and vet widely
  • run the survey, attracting respondents using CentralNotice for logged-in users

ACTION: Tom and Pru to draft survey and report to next meeting

3. Resource kit on working with indigenous communities and knowledge

Collaboration with the New Zealand Wikimedians and possibly with Whose Knowledge?

  • start conversations in coming months
  • ideally have the kit ready some time in late 2019
  • announce, launch event, press releases etc., inform partners, share across movement

4. Conference (related to 0.5 above)

5. 2019-20 Annual Plan

Based on survey results + capacity mapping, revise plan or prepare next year's plan

6. Skill training

  • obtain more skills
  • create opportunities to diffuse those skills

Other business

Project proposals

  • Women in philosophy project, Monash University
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:The_june_frost/sandbox
  • Research Graph and Wikidata, Swinburne University Linkage Grant
http://researchgraph.org/collaborators
  • Public Domain Workshops 2019 with Creative Commons
  • NSW Regional workshops for 2019, cover locations not yet had any training and workshops on Wikipedia, Commons, Wikidata and Wikisource. Have contacted the Maitland City Council to see if anyone in their library and museum may be interested

Reports as required

  • Asaf Sydney meetings
  • Half year Simple APG spend sheet - work in progress, need all reimbursements by next week

Reimbursements

  • Payment approvals needed!

Close

  • Meeting closed: 8.38
  • Next meeting: Monday 10 December 2018 4pm WA/5.30pm NT/ 7.00pm ACT/NSW/VIC