Meeting:Committee (2019-05-27)

Committee meeting

27 May 2019

This meeting has two pages: one restricted-access page (only for members of the current Board) and one public-access page (which may have sensitive information redacted).

  Wikimedia Australia Inc.


  • Date: Monday 27 May 2019
  • Time / time zone: 4pm WA / 5.30pm NT / 6pm AEST
  • Meeting channel: Skype
  • Attendees: Pru, Sam, Gideon, Tom, Robert (arrived 6:20pm) Steve arrived late
  • Apologies:

Minutes of previous meeting

Business arising and actions

Community Conference planning, Sat 15 June 2019 Sydney

  • Still to be organised:
  • Jeremy: ESEAP or bali experience? - TOM will confirm with Jeremy
  • Kerry: - Pru to confirm
  • Margaret Donald: Using AVH, the taxonbar and new wikidata properties to efficiently write botanical articles - Pru to confirm
  • Julian Singh: Open Data and Wikipedia - the power of combining open source with the power of crowds - Pru to request
  • Modify post-lunch session to lightning talks after lunch and shorten the workshop
  • 5.00pm: Social event - Robert, or Toby or Cas to advise
  • Tom will be applying for this - - any feedback ? deadline is 31st May
  • Catering/youth?/report/photography/event/av support nearby transportation
  • catering 500/ quote easy event - stream/avsupport margaret donald transport
  • VSP applications
  • none seen to date (tom monday)
  • South Australian editors to be approached - Pru
  • Ratification of budget approved via email since last meeting
  • Catering
  • Ingrid - airfare +
  • Ingrid - accommodation
  • Accommodation and venue for committee meeting
  • Travel Gideon, Tom, Sam
  • Travel Steve
  • Travel Pru
  • Travel Robert
  • Travel Caddie
  • Committee meeting approval for all of the above - pending documentation being submitted:
  • Move: Tom
  • Second: Sam
  • Marketing conference & VSP
  • reach out as individuals to known editors, particularly in Sydney - Tom
  • tweet - Pru
  • email - general list - Pru
  • Sunday 16 June - Committee Face to Face meeting
  • Venue
  • Program / Agenda: sent by email from tom
  • Pru - to approach Julian Singh regarding facilitation for community conference
  • Times: 9am - 2pm
  • record keeping - Tom responsible - part of reporting
  • Not part of the conference:
  • Possible starting the Australian Biota user group in the afternoon

Survey of Australian editors

ACTION: Tom and Pru to draft survey, - Tom and Pru to tie in with Strategy survey DRAFTS at: long survey Then refer to wmf for double check:

2018-19 Simple APG Budget status

Finalisation required - Robert & Pru

Organisation / Partner program

ACTION: Gideon to follow up legally drafted template for organisational partnerships AMaGA national membership - Pru, register as

Bank signatory

Publish minutes for 2019 meetings including Motion - Secretary (in process) Steve Crossin added as a signatory to the Wikimedia Australia Bank account



President's report

APG 2019-20 questions Budget Indigenous activity ESEAP activity Media accreditation - Tokyo Paralympics due 1 July 2019 Report from SA History Trust edit-a-thon GovHack WA, 6 - 8 Sep 2019 Strategic plan and Annual plan 2019-20

Secretary's report

Volunteer Support Programme reports from applicants (nothing to date) Strategy deputy - Jeremy/Bahnfrend - recommendation as potential co-optee to committee at some stage Strategy Liaison summit in June - although some publicity - very fluid arrangements so far

Correspondence report

Request for support for an annual Wikimedia Affiliate Chair - affirmed by committee email

Treasurer's report

Current Account balances: Westpac: $45,084.68, CC $114.15 PayPal: $50 Income: ATO $369.00, $60 (6 x $10 in renewals), $15 in donations Transferred: PayPal to Westpac $655.53 Expenses: $2,097.00 (Perth-Sydney flights return), $5 bank fee, $1,653.00 (Sydney Accom), $403.60 (Robert flights)

APG tracking:

Moved: Tom Seconded: Gideon

ACTION: Domain name update. ACTION: Sam investigate how to get this account Credit card: ACTION: Robert to go into Westpac to sort this.

Membership report

Renewals received = 27 + 1 new member Total of 33 memberships for 2018/19

Communications report

Marketing for community conference Newsletter June 2019 - This Month in GLAM - May due 6 June 2019

Technical report

T199606 Create system to track event data issue with sorting the More page - fixed. QRpedia. Waiting on Wikimedia UK to set date for meeting. If Steve can visit in person that would be helpful.


Local activities

  • ACT
Follow up ANU training - email from Imogen. Community Friday on 24 May
  • QLD
QWiki Club events
  • NSW
City of Sydney Libraries training, June
  • SA
History Trust SA, Edit-a-thon, follow up to 18 May event
  • VIC
University of Melbourne presentation at national University Research Support Day
Women’s Art Register Winter Wiki event, Sat 20 July Richmond Library
  • WA
Toodyaypedia, 29 June
Port Hedland regional Local Government librarians meeting, Friday 7 June 2019 - Sam to present 2.5 hours

National activities

  • Wiki Loves Earth

Global activities

  • Wikimania scholarships -
  • ESEAP strategy meeting - still in process
  • Wikimania 2020 - at least 2 known self funded persons going



  • Meeting closed:
  • Next meeting: Monday 10 June 2019 4pm WA / 5.30pm NT / 6.00pm ACT/NSW/VIC
  • Apology: Sam
Discuss this page