Meeting:Committee (2020-04-20)

From Wikimedia Australia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
National


Event
to (National)
Committee (2020-04-20)

Location: Online

Share link:

Normal monthly Committee meeting. Committee members and observers only.


Committee meeting

20 April 2020

This meeting has two pages: one restricted-access page (only for members of the current Committee) and one public-access page (which may have sensitive information redacted).


Meeting channel: BigBlueButton https://wikimedia.blindsidenetworks.net

Introduction

Date: Monday 20 April 2020
Time / time zone: 5pm WA / 7pm AEST
Meeting channel: https://wikimedia.blindsidenetworks.net Committee room

Attendance

Attendees: Alex, Pru, Jacinta, Matt
Apologies:

Previous minutes

Minutes of previous meeting:

https://comm.wikimedia.org.au/wiki/Meeting:Committee_(2020-03-24)

  • That the minutes of the 25 March 2020 meeting be accepted.
Moved: Matt
Seconded: Pru
ACTION
To be published to public wiki

ACTION: Move action items to next agenda

AGENDA

Simple APG development

Budget: *link redacted*

Community support

Discussion about our definition of community and whether our programs were aligned effectively. Community is broader than supporting WMAU members - Simple APG funding is about supporting any Australian editors, AND about growing the community. This crosses over into Outreach and Engagement. We considered an adjustment of the focus, in which Community Support looks towards supporting, engaging with and growing the capacity of individuals in our community. Outreach and Engagement has a focus on supporting, engaging with and growing the capacity of institutional/organisational partnerships. Discussion on how to effectively reach people in regional areas of Australia. The need to test whether lack of participation is actually representative of regional editor activity. Are there people out there who want to be recognised/included as part of the organised community? Programs to include under Community support - Growth is key metric:

  • Online community meetings (growth in engagement levels, trust and cooperation online; capability building through training segments). There is no cost to this but it should be valued.
  • Local in-person events (growth in numbers, diversity and individual’s capability and contribution)
  • Wikimania scholarships 2021 (growth of individual connection, contribution before, during and after Wikimania)
  • ESEAP engagement activities (growth of global/regional connection)
  • Challenges for individuals, eg WikiScience, WLE, WLM - focus funding on facilitation and promotion, rather than multiple prizes (growth in awareness, contributions, members and media stories). Possibly seek sponsorship for prizes.

Engagement and Outreach

Note new focus on organisation-level partnerships. Use our brand. It’s not so much about funds. We have less impact on our own. Recognise that organisations want ownership of their participation. Partnering with state organisations, eg State LIbraries, public libraries, associations, etc

  • Online train-the-trainer modules - eg OCLC libraries intensive, scaffolded and facilitated modules. Have them registered for PD points, eg ALIA for library staff, NESA for teachers.

Trial with 1Lib1Ref 2020 in QLD and Yarra Plenty Regional Library, VIC

  • Seed funding for joint ventures with ideologically like-minded organisations.
  • A call out campaign: The regional WikiBus Queen of the Wiki tour (a mixture of the GLAM Peak model & Mike Dickison’s NZ at large project)

Governance

Largely fixed costs. Discussion about the benefits of scheduling two committee face-to-face activities in the year, and of signing up for an association secretariat service, eg https://goodworkgroup.com.au or IIM contact. Outsourcing marketing, event registration/ followup, and membership means the committee can focus on strategy and outreach. A big ‘wish’ identified in the meetings was ‘we want to buy some more time’. ACTION: Pru & Matt to draft plan, application and budget and send to committee for review.

National activities

1lib1Ref

ACTION: Pru and Jacinta to discuss trial online training for May 2020.

Proposal: Engagement with Australian GLAMS and Wikidata

Proposal: Engagement with Australian GLAMS and Wikidata MOTION: That WMAU proceed with posting the Engagement with GLAMS and Wikidata proposal on meta and confirming with WMF grants contact to advertise the role Moved: Matt Seconded: Alex Passed unanimously

ACTION
Matt to coordinate the project

Meeting closed

Closed: 8.15pm

  • Next Community meeting: Wed 13 May 7pm (AEST)
  • Future Community meetings: Wed 10 June 7pm (AEST)
  • Next Committee meeting: Mon 25 May 7pm (AEST)

AGENDA ITEMS

All Action items from previous meeting