Meeting: Committee (2021-09-20)
- Date: Monday 20 September 2021
- Time / time zone: 5pm AWST / 6.30pm CST / 7pm AEST
- Meeting channel: Zoom
- Attendees: Amanda, Bunty, Michael, Pru, Tom, Paige, Alex, Sam (and Caddie)
- Apologies: None
Minutes of previous meeting:
- Monday 19 July 2021 Meeting:Committee_(2021-07-19)
- That the minutes of the 19 July 2021 meeting be accepted.
- Moved: Alex
- Seconded: Amanda
Matters for decision
- ACTIONS - dealt with under appropriate reports below
Approve WMAU submission on open access
Amanda Lawrence has drafted a submission to the Chief Scientist’s consultation on open access
Financial Approvals - Pru
}} Reason: Need for extra bookkeeping services as we are dealing with larger amounts of money and the timing created some complexities in terms of BAS
Key Matters for Discussion
Program to deliver annual plan
- STRATEGIC PLANNING WORKSHOP
Discuss dates/times and facilitator for Wikimedia Australia strategic planning workshop. Deadline of 31 Jan 2022 for production of strategic plan [5 minutes]
Suggestions for facilitators: Patrick Moriaty from Our Community; Matrix on board - Darwin. Tending to move away from one day model for planning - a number of sessions over 2 months seems to work better. So far we’ve had 2 strategic plans. Tom: Suggestion for implementation plan so that strategy isn’t just a document. Paige: Aim for a 3-5 year plan. Pru suggestion to review the Wikimedia foundation Strategy and use that as the basis for the WMAU plan. Seems that Monday evenings work well for committee.
- COMMITTEE TASKS FOR 2021-22 IMPLEMENTATION OF ANNUAL PLAN
Based upon our Simple APG funding application, here is a plan for the remainder of 2021-22 for discussion and allocation of responsibility against committee members
- Community support
Mini grants including Wikidata [Caddie + Alex + Bunty] Census tool [Alex + Sam] Community meetings [ Outreach [ First Nations [Caddie + Bunty] GLAM & Education [Amanda + Paige] Campaigns [Pru + Michael] Sydney Uni students have a social club ‘Tech for Social Good’.
Pending actions from previous meeting
- Alex and Sam to coordinate development of a brief for a Census Tool (2 - 4 weeks work) - even a slide pack mocking up what we think it might look like. - Pending, discussion planned for October community meeting
- Caddie to work on Facilitators document and present at next meeting - Pending
Community Support and Outreach Coordinator report [FOR NOTING]
- Caddie is taking a week off from 27 September – 2 October 2021.
Published stories from James Gaunt:
- Social media report
Twitter: August - 41 tweets / 4205 profile visits / 46K impressions / 67 mentions / 27 new followers July - 46 tweets / 5077 profile visits / 61.7K impressions / 60 mentions / 34 new followers June - 27 tweets / 5415 profile visits / 41.9K impressions / 28 mentions / 20 new followers Facebook: August - 6 posts / 817 reach / 41 engagements / 26 post clicks / 1 new followers July - 8 posts / 1004 reach / 32 engagements / 47 post clicks / -5 new followers June - 11 posts / 786 reach / 45 engagements / 36 post clicks / no new followers
- Meetings summary
August Community Meeting City of Sydney - 3 x paralympics preparation UNSW Planning meeting Media Literacy Consultation ALIA Mike Dickison - 2 x GLAM Modules Weekly meetings x 4 - James Gaunt Exec meetings x 2 ESEAP
- Wikimania 2021 affiliate session
WMAU affiliate session went well. 50 people watched the session live in Remo from Africa, Europe and North America as well as Australia, New Zealand and the ESEAP region. The video recording has 180 views on YouTube and 11 views on Facebook.
- New ESEAP program officer
- Jacqueline Chen
- Jacqueline Chen is the new programs officer for the ESEAP region on the WMF Community Resources Team. Caddie, Pru and I are meeting with Jacqueline on Wednesday.
- Elections for WMF Board of Trustees
An election for the 4 community seats on the board of trustees was held from 18 to 31 August. The successful canditates announced on 7 September are: Rosie Stephenson-Goodknight, Victoria Doronia, Dariusz Jemielniak and Lorenzo Losa. Congratulations to the new board members.
- Meeting, Sat 11 September (Etherpad notes)
Presentation on Wikisource and Ramzi presented on universal code of conduct and will be speaking at next WMAU Committee meeting.
- Reports from funded projects - none
Invited to Media Literacy consultation workshop and Caddie attended. The research team will create a report for AMLA (‘Toward a Media Literacy Strategy for Australia’) to be launched during Media Literacy Week (Oct 23-30). AMLA will have a new website in coming weeks: https://medialiteracy.org.au/
- Movement Charter Drafting Committee - Call for Candidates and affiliate selection process
- Australian Media Literacy Alliance
- Open Access Australasia - Invited to participate in Open Access Australasia strategy writing session - Amanda was part of this.
- Profit & Loss Statement since last meeting
Profit & Loss Statement 19 July - 18 Sep 2021
- Current Account balances as of 18 Sep 2021
**Westpac: $ 132,198.42 **CC: $ 3,744.72 ** PayPal: $ 1,023.67
- Income:; $1,534.95 in donations, $39.85 memberships
- Expenses $56.32 website hosting, $104 Xero, $23.63 Paypal fees, $397.65 accounting, $3730 Exec Officer, $630 Indigenous presenters Wikimania, $500 Universities WA grant,
- Membership report
In this period: 1 lapsed member re-subscribed (Vic), 3 new members (NSW)
- phab:T284896 Add 'link' param to Template:PAGEBANNER to change target — waiting for code review (hopefully from Jon).
- phab:T210363 Remove spam from noongarwp wiki — Does anyone care about this? Do we want to keep these two wikis?
- phab:T291364 Move WMAU website to the Australian data centre, will not be much difference but may be a bit quicker.
- Redirect issue: https://wikimedia.org.au/w/index.php?title=Strategic_plan&redirect=no
- phab:T291368 Fix up category display on wiki pages. https://wikimedia.org.au/w/index.php?title=Strategic_plan&redirect=no
https://wikimedia.org.au/wiki/Strategic_Plan_2020 ACTION: Need to have a more detailed discussion on what to do with Noongarpedia. Problem is with hosting, who is responsible now and the Wikimedia Foundation rules about dual language wikis. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Noongarpedia
Paige mentioned a new book on True Tracks by Terri Janke (2021) - “The impact of publishing language without Indigenous consent”. Which discusses a case of Wikipedia publicising language being revived by Tasmanian Aboriginal Centre (TAC) and refused to take down after the community requested that it not be public.
- SWAN (Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network)
- Notes from July meeting:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategic_Wikimedia_Affiliates_Network/2021_07 Next meeting: 26 September 2021
- Wikidata and GLAMs outreach
Draft Matrix, Candidate Collection Preparation Checklists and Wikidata value proposition documents published as Wikidata: Engagement with Australian GLAMs ACTION: Pru to ask Rebecca to present on the project and at a Community meeting.
- History of Paralympics Project
ACTION: Try again for Tony to present and/or produce a media release on impact of project / stats for 2020 Tokyo Paralympics
Events / Local activities
Meeting close: 8.25pm AEST
- Next Community meeting: Wed 13 October 2021, 7pm (AEDT)
- Next Committee meeting: Mon 18 October 2021, 7pm (AEDT)