<span style="font-size:12pt; font-weight:lighter">Meeting:Committee (2021-05-17)</span>

WikiCite: an insight, 12 May 2021
National
1Lib1Ref Drop-in Session 1, 18 May 2021 →


Event
View all events
to (National)
Committee (2021-05-17)

Location: Online (Zoom)

Share link: – or download calendar item (.ics)

Normal monthly Committee meeting. Committee members and observers only.


19 April 2021
Committee meeting

17 May 2021

14 June 2021

This meeting has two pages: one restricted-access page (only for members of the current Committee) and one public-access page (which may have sensitive information redacted).


Introduction

Date: Monday 17 May 2021
Time / time zone: 5pm AWST / 7pm AEST
Meeting channel: Zoom

Attendance

Attendees: Alex, Amanda, Pru, Sam (and Caddie)
Apologies: Tom
Leave of absence: Jacinta
Absent: Steve

Previous minutes

Minutes of previous meeting:

Moved: Alex
Seconded: Pru
ACTION (Sam)
Published to Comm Wiki and Public website: https://comm.wikimedia.org.au/wiki/Meeting:Committee_(2021-04-19)

Matters for decision

ACTIONS - dealt with under appropriate reports below

Proposed AGM schedule - Caddie

Sunday 11 July 2021 - AGM notice to be send to all members Wednesday 14 July - All resolutions, including rule changes, must be proposed, seconded and published (July Committee Meeting) Friday 16 July 2021 - Membership database closed Sunday 1 August 2021 - Elections open Friday 7 August 2021 - Elections close Sunday 8 August 2021 - AGM time 5pm AEST Monday 9 August 2021 - Membership database reopens

Decision
Decision: Cancel 11 August community meeting due to Wikimania.
Moved: Canley; seconded: samwilson; outcome: Approved
Notes: Wikimania begins on 13 August.
ACTIONS
  • Secretary to send out notices
  • Approach/recruit possible nominations, organise brainstorm meeting
  • Committee to receive nominations
  • Pru to check membership and committee rules
  • Sharing of Zoom account details with approved facilitators (Ann Reynolds and Kerry Raymond) - Caddie

With events like 1lib/1ref need to share zoom account details etc with nominated facilitators.

    • Criteria for approved facilitators Draft document
Decision
Decision: The WMAU Zoom account details with be shared with approved facilitators.
Moved: AmandaSLawrence; seconded: Canley; outcome: Approved
Notes: Caddie to work on facilitators document and present at next meeting

Wiki Science 2021

https://www.wikisciencecompetition.org Decision on WMAU involvement requested by international coordinator. Starts 1 November 2021 -15 December (local deadlines can be slightly different if needed). Announce national winners by 15 January. International winners should be announced in April 2022. Thomas Shafee has agreed to coordinate but can be difficult to promote at this time. Need to contact a range of groups and aim to focus on November as the main period of the competition as December gets too busy. Do a planning session around September.

Decision
Decision: WMAU will participate in Wiki Science 2021.
Moved: Pru.mitchell; seconded: Canley; outcome: Approved
Notes: Pru to let Ivo know WMAU will participate.

Website update

Website update, reskinning and restructure: A refreshing of the website has been identified as a key priority in the comms strategy. Next week is inspiration Week' at the WMF, in which all employees are to spend a whole week working on whatever project they feel like inspires them. Sam is proposing spending a week working with Caddie on the new skin for the current Wiki (no new system/platform/content removal) - Sam and Caddie

Demo: https://wikimedia.org.au/wiki/MediaWiki_skin?useskin=wmau

Decision
Decision: Committee approves the deployment of WMAU skin when ready.
Moved: Canley; seconded: Pru.mitchell; outcome: Approved
Notes: Consider engaging a designer, and getting user feedback.

Financial Approvals - Pru

    • Community Support and Outreach Coordinator monthly invoice: $3,455.00
    • Top up WMAU credit card $2000
    • Catering for Newcastle University Library: $200 (quote pending)

Library staff, 26 May 10.30-11.30am, 20-30 attendees expected. Organised with Paige Wright.

Decision
Decision: Pay for catering at Newcastle University Library event.
Moved: Pru.mitchell; seconded: Canley; outcome: Approved
Notes:
    • Caddie Travel to Sydney for CIty of Sydney event (per diem only, no accommodation required): $82.01

Moved: Pru Second: Amanda Approved

Community Grant Applications

Decision
Decision: Up to $300 for the Art+Feminism Laptop Stickers grant application.
Moved: Pru.mitchell; seconded: Canley; outcome: Approved
Notes: Application: Art+Feminism Laptop Stickers. Carolyn is requested to post at least 2 social media photos of people with their stickers.

Key Matters for Discussion

  • Communications strategy. Questions ahead of approval in June committee meeting:

ACTION: Committee to review communications strategy over next week then Caddie will review and respond to prior to discussion at June meeting.

  • Final budget expenditure. Use of grant funding for facilitating pilot collection digitisation for University of Newcastle
Decision
Decision: WMAU approves in principle partnership with University of Newcastle for use of facilitation of volunteer contribution of significant photographs to Commons with metadata up to $3,000 under Engagement with GLAM and Wikidata program.
Moved: Pru.mitchell; seconded: AmandaSLawrence; outcome: Approved
Notes: Reporting: At least two media stories about the work including Wikimedia Australia before 31 July 2021. Documentation and/or presentation about the process, issues, pros and cons.
  • WIkimedian in Residence

Following Amanda Lawrence’s appointment as Wikimedian in Residence contracted by the ARC Centre of Excellence for Automated-Decision Making and Society, based at RMIT, Wikimedia Australia records its support for this appointment, and looks forward to working with the Centre on this position in the higher education sector in Australia. Moved: Pru Seconded: Sam Approved


Motions for Noting

  • APG - final committee approval via email - 1 May - unanimous
  • Stickers - final committee approval - 5 May

Pending actions from previous meeting

ACTION
Caddie coordinate development of a brief for a Census Tool (2 - 4 weeks work) - even a slide pack mocking up what we think it might look like. - Pending
  • ACTION: Give Caddie contacts, and Caddie provide template email for individuals to promote - Complete
  • ACTION: Caddie: provide a blurb for Pru to put in ALIA Weekly - Complete
  • ACTION: Steve - follow up with Robert and post draft minutes of AGM to https://wikimedia.org.au/w/index.php?title=Meeting:2020_AGM/Minutes - Complete
  • Community meeting notes
    • Update 10 June 2020 - Sam, Complete
    • 14 October 2020: Can’t access document
    • 14 December 2020 - Sam, Complete
    • ACTION: Sam to list community meetings on the Meetings page - Complete
  • ACTION: Pru needs password for PayPal to transfer to Westpac - Complete
  • ACTION: WikiScholar program Amanda will draft a public-facing proposal to bring to committee and community - Develop proposal further, and set up a couple of pilots
  • ACTION: Registration for website editing disabled due to spam, but submitting proposals on the WMAU wiki requires login. Sam to look at options
  • ACTION: Accounts and passwords: https://comm.wikimedia.org.au/wiki/Accounts. Paypal is an issue - Complete

Reports

Community Support and Outreach Coordinator report

Programs

1Lib1Ref beginning - https://wikimedia.org.au/wiki/1Lib1Ref: Two sessions per week with myself and Kerry Raymond. Face-to-Face event at Newcastle University Library. WLE underway - https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Wiki_Loves_Earth_2021_in_Australia Margaret Donald organising. Almost 300 entries so far and good social media traction. Margaret has been invited to report to the committee at 8pm. Following that, possible motion on number of judges/finalists? Margaret pointed out differences with this year’s Wiki Loves Earth campaign Inclusion of Indigenous Protected Areas (IPAs) Use of the Wikidata depicts statement - can be time-consuming but is important Use of the perjury tool - works on averages. Is experimental, and the judges will not be bound by the results Can’t see what others have voted Good if people can go through the whole set, or up to 100


Communications

Laptop stickers for WMAU/1Lib1Ref/NZ printed. Social media report:

Twitter: April - 33 tweets / 4270 profile visits / 27.1K impressions / 54 mentions / 35 new followers March - 22 tweets / 1987 profile visits / 26.4K impressions / 26 mentions / 35 new followers February - 22 tweets / 128 profile visits / 4.8K impressions / 9 mentions / 16 new followers

Facebook: April - 22 posts / 129 engagements / 87 post clicks / 2179 reach / 5 new followers March - 6 posts / 118 engagements / 90 post clicks / 1402 reach / -1 new followers February - 3 posts / 11 engagements / 19 post clicks / 96 reach / -1 new followers Facebook monthly summary - No. of posts, new page likes/followers, page views, post engagement top Facebook post (based on insights tab)

Meetings summary

May Community Meeting (Liam Wyatt, Margaret Donald, Alex Lum) Paige Wright, Newcastle University - 1Lib1Ref, 2021 plans, possible digitisation projects Richard Cooke, Author - Interview follow up, timing on book launch (mid 2022), facilitate Noongarpedia contacts Gideon Digby - WLE process documentation, to be completed with Margaret after 2021 campaign Annette Webb, City of Sydney - 2021 edit-a-thons Toby Hudson, City of Sydney edit-a-thons, Wikidata documentation project Franklin Women - 23 July edit-a-thon Sydney planning Community meetings structure Open meeting alternating with open sessions. June will be an open session. August cancelled due to Wikimania.

New actions?
  • Coordinate commissioning and development of online training modules for GLAM

President's report

Movement Strategy
Global Conversations meetings
  • Movement Strategy Implementation Grants
  • Two June Global Conversations planned
ESEAP
Meetings
AGM proposed dates - see Decisions above

https://comm.wikimedia.org.au/wiki/AGM https://comm.wikimedia.org.au/wiki/File:AGM-timeline.xls

Secretary's report

Reports from funded projects


Correspondence

Treasurer's report

Profit & Loss Statement since last meeting:

Profit & Loss Statement 18 April 2021 - 15 May 2021

  • Current Account balances as of 15 May 2021
    • Westpac: $ 86,079.42
    • CC: $ 352.03
    • PayPal: $ 1,858.28
  • Income: $495 in donations, $0 in interest $524 membership renewals
  • Expenses $26.73 website hosting, $47.27 Xero, $14.67 Paypal fees, $190.82 Zoom, Postage $56.00, Coordinator $2,495.45
  • 2020-21 Budget:
  • Simple APG 2021-22 Submitted 15 May 2021

BAS due 2 March 2021 still outstanding - waiting on advice re credited invoices from previous period which are resulting in BAS not being accepted.

Technical report

If anyone has any requests for the WMAU wikis, tell Sam. T262775 Install MinervaNeue and MobileFrontend on all WMAU wikis may no longer be required, because of the next item. Create custom MediaWiki skin for WMAU. T210363 Remove spam from noongarwp wiki Might move WMAU website to the Australian data centre, might not be much difference but may be a bit quicker. Training Request for committee training/instructions on setting up events and events pages

Activities

Global activities

  • Brand Network - Alex
  • SWAN (Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network)

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategic_Wikimedia_Affiliates_Network

  • Etherpad notes from April meeting:

https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/SWAN_2021_04_meeting_1 Next meeting: TBD (late May?)

Next meeting: 12 June 2021

  • WIkiCite / Wikibase / Koha connections - possible area of investigation for major project/partnership with Catalyst and NZ User Group

ACTION: Pru to initiate meeting

National activities

  • Noongarpedia: Nyungar spoken words on video


Wikidata and GLAMs outreach proposal progress update

Draft Matrix, Candidate Collection Preparation Checklists and Wikidata value proposition documents published as Wikidata: Engagement with Australian GLAMs ACTION: Pru to ask Rebecca to present on the project and meeting at a COmmunity meeting. History of Paralympics Project Paralympics editathon in Sydney ACTION: Pru to follow up with Tony and get Tony to present - Still in progress It would be good to reach a broader audience. Can we piggyback on other organisations to seed presentations on our project? ACTION: Amanda to contact some possible organisations about our capabilities relative to similar projects as Wiki Scholar and other relevant topics/issues


Trove infrastructure

ACTION Pru: Invite a Trove rep to speak at a Community meeting about Trove API, Australian Library Gateway and/or Partner IDs Wikidata project

Australian Women’s Register

Presentation at November Community meeting - Report required ACTION: https://mix-n-match.toolforge.org/#/catalog/534

  • Know my Name

ACTION: Pru and Caddie: update and Facebook group management NGA - report from Caddie about future online event Art+Feminism theme for Vic & ACT Sat 6 March - Report from Caroline due end March Uni Sydney Mon - Report from Bunty due end March WOMESA online edit-a-thon - Report from Caddie

Local activities

  • ACT: NGA event for volunteers and staff - possible WMAU presentation before 30 June 2021
  • QLD:
  • NSW: ACTION: Pru follow up with University of Newcastle outreach dashboard.

Three edit-a-thons planned for City of Sydney this year.

  • NT:
  • SA:
  • TAS:
  • VIC: University of Divinity Women in Religion grant proposal and Visiting Scholar pilot

ACMI: Plan for an edit-a-thon for Australian film or new exhibitions

  • WA: Meetups held - 2021-2022 plan being discussed and developed internally so far

ONGOING ITEMS/ACTIONS

Safe Spaces Policy Review

UCoC policy has been approved by the WMF Board of Trustees, currently in Phase 2 - community conversations and approval.https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Universal_Code_of_Conduct ACTION: Watching brief to review this when the WMF Global Code of Conduct is determined.

Outreach to Public Relations Institute of Australia - raised at Community meeting

To increase understanding in the sector about Wikipedia’s policies Summarise COI rules and user name policy - ‘handy hints to preserve your reputation’ Is this a top 3 problem for us in Australian content? What positive message/advice can we give? ACTION: Steve will look at drafting this and Caddie will review - not urgent

Survey - review members’ responses - recommend merging questions

ACTION: Pru to follow up with banner ad - Not done yet, but we’ll get to it.

Partnerships

ACTION: legally drafted template for organisational partnerships. Define levels of partnership. Active and Past partnerships. Partnerships page: Add start & finish dates and review dates - For next meeting https://wikimedia.org.au/wiki/Partnerships

Close

Meeting close: 9.00pm AEST

  • Next Community meeting: Wed 9 June 2021, 7pm (AEDT)
  • Next Committee meeting: Mon 14 June 2021, 7pm (AEDT)
  • AGM: 8 August 2021

FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS

None.

Discuss this page